Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,780   Online: 818

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    The darkroom is at my studio. Which is not in my home but a different property a few blocks away. I'm contemplating selling the studio and moving into a new space.... but would not have a darkroom.

There's no way I could move the darkroom into the house. (Or the boat for that matter)

I have been to Latow a number of time and have considered this.... although they don't have an 8x10 enlarger and the other enlargers aren't the quality of mine. (Sounds arrogant I know, plus I doubt they would want to store my boat.)

So I'm just pondering some ideas.

It started with this photo....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsphotorob/4955368569/

Shot in colour with a digital camera.... but I kinda enjoyed it and wanted to do more like it.

This lead me to re-evaluating everything I do in photography.... from shooting black and white 35mm.... through the Pentax 645 I own..... all the way to 8x10.

If I don't have a darkroom it's tough to continue doing black and white the way I like to.... If I don't shoot black and white, then why do I need a film camera????

More questions than answers.

I'm just working through it, but appreciate the comments from the members here. I've been a member a long time and enjoy the different points of view.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a make shift darkroom in my garage, if I shut that down I have nothing!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    The darkroom is at my studio. Which is not in my home but a different property a few blocks away. I'm contemplating selling the studio and moving into a new space.... but would not have a darkroom.
    This seems to be the crucial bit. Why sell the studio if it means loosing the darkroom and then asking why shoot film?

If you have to sell the studio, maybe donate your enlargers to a community darkroom and print there.

If you don't have to sell the darkroom but are using that as a way of justifying a move into the Sony A55, then you should follow your heart.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guess Gallery 44 is too long a haul for print sessions ? This might work if you don't mind the commute. http://www.gallery44.org/membersdarkroom

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob, I see no reason why that photograph should make you reevaluate everything. Many successful portrait photographers use simple 120 and 4x5 color or black and white setups.

Film isn't just for black and white.
    Black and white isn't at exclusion of color and vice-versa.

You're going off of something emotionally driven. Get rid of the darkroom and you'll regret it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Scanner, inkjet or dyesub or a prolab.

I could never work in a community darkroom after my own.

for one thing, there are all the solutions with unknown capacity. Then you have to travel and conform to their hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you seek, you shall surely find a way.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format

hmmm...

if i were in your situation, i hope someone would advise me try the "new" setup for awhile and see if you like the new way. if you do you'll find a way to move the other stuff.

i think what you'll find in the digital world (just like the analog world), there is always something more you need to get. the only problem being it's all a significant level more expensive!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What ever you do, just don't regret one day, "why did I ever get rid of my darkroom?"
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob:

I'd sure miss your postcards .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin