Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,951   Online: 939

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second this idea.
    L1200 (Durst?)

Only 45kg and can be just fitting in a SUV
    Any idea how to ship to S-Africa?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    If you have room for a 4x5 enlarger you'll be able to handle up to 6x9 and 6x12, and often they are built better too. You might even give 4x5 a try.
    Yep, that is what I did and guess what? I shoot 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    L1200 (Durst?)

Only 45kg and can be just fitting in a SUV
    Any idea how to ship to S-Africa?
    If you need to get rid of that, i'll offer it a good home much closer to where it is now for free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for all the replies.
    Size is not a massive issue, however price is. I will have a look out for these enlargers second hand and see if i can get a bargain.
    I have a question, someone mentioned a 'multigrade head'. What is this?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A multigrade head is similar to a colour head, but instead of dial-in colour filters it has dial-in filters that control the contrast grade of multigrade printing paper.
    These heads (at least the ones i know) use a diffuse lighting system, which produces images with a bit less 'bite' than condensor heads do. A matter of taste; i like condensor systems better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In fact you have systems who are combining a condensor with a diffuse system:
    Kaiser, Dunco, Kienzle. Sharp and less problems with dust.
    Dunco has even a CVC system: Color + VC in one.
    Or: Split Grade from Heiland. Two filters: 00 (Yellow) and 5 (Magenta). The amount time in both filters point out the exact gradation within 0,1 gradation acuracy. Also the glowing on and off of the bulb has been taken out. In one measurement exposure time and gradation around 98% score.
    Save a lot of time and test stripes.

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...3_Englisch.pdf

Can be also equipped with high bright LED cold light source for the bigger formats:
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta..._Coldlight.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have D-2 and D-II. (Omega) It'll handle all medium size format easily. I bought my first one for $40 and got the second one for free. My free one required extensive rebuilding but first one only required cleaning. I still see one available for free to in low tens every now and then. If you are in US, you should be able to find these....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bessler mcr 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the deal. I realize that the OP is not in the US so this may or may not be applicable; but for anyone in the same situation in the US, you really can't do much better than one of the Omega D series or Beseler 45 series enlargers overall. Parts are easily available and not too expensive. Build quality is good, and there is room to grow if you decide to move up to 4x5. In any case, either will do an admirable job with smaller formats. If you are partial to using diffusion type color heads, the Omega Chromega II lamp house works very well with variable contrast papers. Dichro heads are lss common for the Beseler 45 enlargers, but their condenser heads are top notch. I have one of each in my darkrom and I wouldn't trade them for anything - even the much ballyhooed Durst L200. I once had a chance to pick up one of those for next to nothing, and while the price was attractive, the thought of hunting down the extra bits and pieces I'd have needed put me off.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^ That is why I have a Chromega Dichroic II 5D-XL enlarger, with three lenses in a turret. I use it for 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-07-2010 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin