Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,576   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Any tips on making a portable in home darkroom that can be taken down?

My situation is I have just moved to Japan from California. In California I had a nice room where I had a darkroom setup. I began printing for the first time about 6 months before I moved here. Now that I am in Japan I have my enlarger but I live in a tower with pretty much no spare space. I am wondering if there is anything out there that can be setup and taken down that could act as a portable darkroom I guess that I could maybe setup in my kitchen after the family has gone to bed. If not my only option is to wait until everyone goes to sleep then turn of all the lights and unplug anything glowing and hope my son doesn't come out of his room for milk while I am exposing a print. Is there any type of darkroom cloth or anything. I would even be willing to build some frames that I could put up and take down if it came to that. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darkroom blackout cloth can be used. I know space is limited in Japan, I lived there for a while and my darkroom is bigger than some hotel rooms I stayed in when vacationing... though the work-paid apartment I lived in was quite spacious luckily.

Something like this maybe? Not sure where to get in Japan, I didn't have time for darkroom while I was there.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/260110...ck-Out-Cloth-1
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you talking something like this? http://www.old-picture.com/crimean-w...-Wagon-001.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Snay1345,

I'm in a similar position as you, although I have yet to find an enlarger. And, like you, once I get it I'll probably be printing in the kitchen because it's the one room in the apartment that's big enough and only has one window (err...sliding doors). I did have a similar situation in Canada where I had to black out the entire apartment (bedroom bathroom, and living room), and short of taping up all the windows with black bags (which your family probably wouldn't like), I agree with the others about the blackout cloth. But you don't need to order "official" darkroom blackout cloth from the States (although what Freestyle has looks great and is a good price) -- you can easily go down to a local fabric store and buy blackout cloth there (often used for curtains). It may or may not be black, but the effect will be the same. I got some incredibly cheap blackout cloth in Canada because it was hot pink in colour, but it worked great.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We need pictures of your pink darkroom Rachelle :-) Posted in the darkroom portraits thread yet?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    We need pictures of your pink darkroom Rachelle :-) Posted in the darkroom portraits thread yet?
    Unfortunately that darkroom has been mostly dismantled (it's my parents' basement) but my lovely Beseler 45MX is there all by itself since I moved here. If it wasn't such a beast I would have brought it with me to Japan.

I did bring the pink blackout cloth though, so once I'm set up I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them!
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    A pink darkroom with a red light glowing within. Reminds me of... Never mind.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    A pink darkroom with a red light glowing within. Reminds me of... Never mind.
    It wasn't like that all!! The whole darkroom wasn't pink, only the blackout cloth was. That being said, it did help the red safelight extend it's glow on the white walls...

Getting back on topic, in another apartment I did have the enlarger set up permanently on a table in the corner of my bedroom. I also covered it up with a large bed sheet when not in use to help keep the dust off. However, I didn't have a spouse I needed to deal with, so that probably won't work for you (But maybe a similar alternative could). It was convenient though, as I could put the paper in a box or black bag and walk over to the bathroom for developing next door. Anyway, let us know what solution you come up with (and maybe post some photos for reference!).
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    that's what i want - but with the horse....

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nova out of the UK makes portable darkroom tents (just large enough for person, enlarger, basic processing equipment, etc.). Shipping would probably be expensive, but it might be an option depending on how flush you are feeling at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin