Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,883   Posts: 1,629,721   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

jam-nut size questions(EL-NIKKORS)

hey all,

I'm currently watching a 210mm el-nikkor on the 'bay, for my 4x5 negs, but it doesn't have a retaining ring(jam nut) included with it.

also, I just received a 63mm (3.5, NOT 2.8) el-nikkor in the mail, and it doesn't have one either, so I'll need one for it too.

planning on making some masonite lensboards anyhow .

any ideas of where I can get one for EACH, and how much they would cost?

thanks

-Dan

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would think b&h and freestyle would have them, think at least 10-15 dollars.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've also used Leica Thread Mount flanges and extension tubes for jam nuts on enlarging lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Isn't 210mm kind of long for enlarging 4x5 negatives?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Dan says you'll struggle using a 210mm for 5x4, it'll hamper making decent sized enlargements.

A 135mm Copmonon/Componon S is designed for 5x4 and is a very practical focal length for a bench enlarger, if your enlarger is floor standing then q 150mm is a good choice as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 63mm Nikkor should be a 39mm (leica) thread. The jam nuts are common enough. I agree with the others that you should be looking for a 135-150 for your 4x5 negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 210mm EL-Nikkor takes a 72mm retaining ring. The 63mm f2.8 takes a 39mm ring. Don't know about the f3.5. Not sure where you can get one. Maybe Nikon parts has one.

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have DIY'ed a square plate aluminum lens board and fimo modelling clay jamb nut when I owned a Beselar 23 and was shy on a board for a rarely used lens to cover 6x9, since I principally shot 6x6.

I put the lens though the hole in the board (mine had a hole that was a tad oversized), and rolled the Fimo into a long round ribbon that I wrapped around the protruding threads and pressed into place. I left it to dry for a few days, and then trimmed excess that had been 'extruded' on the far side with a sharp knife. I took a Sharpie black marker to the dried clay , and that was that. We were good to go.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to add to Mike Wilde's post,I did something similar with a 150 EL-Nikkor,which has an exotic and hard to obtain jamb nut.
    I used epoxy putty,and greased the thread on the lens with petroleum jelly before assembly.
    The lens can be unscrewed if required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SK Grimes will make what you need if you can't find one. Look around first. Mike123 had a bunch of flanges (I got a 75mm from him) and rings but he is gone now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin