Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,836   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Agfa portriga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great recommendation earlier on the Fomabrom... I'm going to pick some of that up and give it a try. What amazed me most was the way the Agfa toned. I've printed quite a bit of Kentmere FB and obviously the color of the paper is different (the Agfa is much warmer), but it won't tone the same either. I toned my print last night in 1:9 selenium for 20 minutes and the color is _very_ eggplant. I've never seen anything close in the Kentmere.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    dfoo ,

Ansel Adams also toned his Agfa prints with Selenium. Good selection and hit.

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I am going to try this stuff, thanks. It sounds great, just like the AGFA 111 Record Rapid. I'll check to see if B&H carries it.
    Oh it's number 1, never mind you can keep it. I recomend you send it to me so I can recycle it properly.

BTW I was looking on B&H site, they don't have the 123, only 131. Anyone know about this paper?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    dfoo ,

Ansel Adams also toned his Agfa prints with Selenium. Good selection and hit.

Umut

Ansel Adams didn't like warm tone papers so would have used Brovira.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's no similar paper because none use cadmium these days, as it's use is banned. Your lucky it's still OK, more modern Warm Tone papers including Record Rapid and Portriga after the late 1980's have poor keeping properties.

Ian
    I would agree in part, that the newer warmtone, in Agfa's case post 1990, those emulsions do go bad much sooner than the 1980's version.

Pre 1990 Portriga does have cadmium along with a chloride based emulsion are likely the reasons for enhanced keeping properties.

I, along with Climbabout purchased two freezers full of pre 1984 Portriga which still yields wonderful results. It's possbile to roughly date the emulsion version based on the design and color of the label.

I have some old (1970's) Portriga #0 which changed to PRW #1 in the next version of the emulsion, the older # 0 has noticeably superior low value contrast than the later PRW # 1.

Simply stated, there is nothing in today's papers resembling Portriga Rapid, hence, it becomes a choice of what is the best alternative, subjectively speaking my choice would be Ilford's Warmtone albeit a far cry from Portriga.

Cheers
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately Steve I have to throw out two boxes of 16"x12" Record Rapid from around 1992, and some 24"-x20", it's not just fogged the emulsion and base has gone a slight peachy red colour, nothing removes this. The Cadmium stabilised these emulsions.

Older Agfa WR papers kept very much better. It's also noticeable that modern WT papers tend to shift towards a more neutral tone over a couple of years.

You can get an image close to Portriga's unique colour/tone by using the Ilford IT-8 Toner which is a re-developing toner using a Dichromate bleach with a Pyrocatechin redeveloper., but you can't get a similar surface.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format

Grade 1 for Tech Pan

Grade 1 paper is perfect for Tech Pan negs. If you want to part with it, I'd be up for it. ;-) I shoot a lot of Tech pan, and it almost always needs grade 1 to get a decent print.

-Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin