Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,730   Online: 1073
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Agfa portriga

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    269

    Agfa portriga

    I just bought a several hundred sheets of 11x14 portriga from a local seller. I tried it last night and I'm very shocked at how great this paper is even after all these years (I think he bought most of it in 1984). I love the warm tones, and the way it accepts selenium toning is amazing.

    So ... what modern paper is closes to this paper?

  2. #2
    JimO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    left coast of the east coast - FL, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    304

    jealous

    boy, i hope someone has the answer to your question - AND that there is an equivalent paper! portriga was a great paper as was agfa brovira!

  3. #3
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,193
    Images
    148
    There's no similar paper because none use cadmium these days, as it's use is banned. Your lucky it's still OK, more modern Warm Tone papers including Record Rapid and Portriga after the late 1980's have poor keeping properties.

    Ian

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jersey Channel Islands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    430
    Blog Entries
    2
    No cadimuim can be used today so you can't paper of the likes of Portriga these days,great shame as it was a beautifuf warm paper, I have been trying to find a replacement ever since is was stopped, and the nearest I could find was Fomatone, although even that was not as good as the Agfa paper,Richard

  5. #5
    climbabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fairfield County CT
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    223

    Portriga

    Cherish it and use it wisely. I have a fair amount of 16x20 frozen that I use for contact printing 8x10 and it still prints beautifully. My next favorite current paper is the Ilford warmtone multigrade - but nothing made today compares to the old portriga.

  6. #6
    jelke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    I just bought a several hundred sheets of 11x14 portriga from a local seller. I tried it last night and I'm very shocked at how great this paper is even after all these years (I think he bought most of it in 1984). I love the warm tones, and the way it accepts selenium toning is amazing.

    So ... what modern paper is closes to this paper?
    fomabrom variant 123

    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1125

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,181
    I was doing prints last night using the last of my Record Rapid 11x14 left over from from 1992 and crying with every sheet I used as my stach got depleated to about 10 sheets. I treasure it like gold.

    Where did you buy that paper and does he have any more? I want, I need. Tell me he still has a nice load of it?

    Now I know how heroin junkies feel at the end of their stash.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by jelke View Post
    I am going to try this stuff, thanks. It sounds great, just like the AGFA 111 Record Rapid. I'll check to see if B&H carries it.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I was doing prints last night using the last of my Record Rapid 11x14 left over from from 1992 and crying with every sheet I used as my stach got depleated to about 10 sheets. I treasure it like gold.

    Where did you buy that paper and does he have any more? I want, I need. Tell me he still has a nice load of it?

    Now I know how heroin junkies feel at the end of their stash.
    Sorry, I bought it all I have 2 full boxes of grade 1 which I've never printed. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

  10. #10
    Paul Sorensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,895
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    Sorry, I bought it all I have 2 full boxes of grade 1 which I've never printed. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.
    Guess you have to start over developing your film so that you can get negs contrasty enough to use with your great paper! Oh, the things we do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin