Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,003   Online: 1010

Thread: Jerry Uelsmann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jerry Uelsmann

My girl friend were gallery hopping at 49 Geary in San Francisco and found a great photo gallery. Here's the link:

http://www.modernbook.com/static.html

They publish books and I saw a Jerry Uelsmann book that they published. I've been an admirer of Uelsmann work for decades. Ignorant of Mr. Uelsmann's current technique, I thought he switched over to Photoshop. One of the knowledgeable gallery employees told me that Jerry Uelsmann still uses his old darkroom techniques. I found that inspiring.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    His wife is the Digital one. They were both in Atlanta last month for Altanta Celebrates Photography
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I often wondered if Jerry felt left behind since the start of the digital age. His work which is so inspiring and skillful can be produced by a novice using PS (maybe not to the same level).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's a Ying/Yang relationship

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    His wife is the Digital one. They were both in Atlanta last month for Altanta Celebrates Photography
    I saw Maggie Taylor's book at Modern Book Gallery also. She's very talented.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern Book is a *great* gallery, you can walk in and meet the owners on any given day, and they share a generous amount of love and knowledge about the craft. I was fortunate to be in a juried class where they gave advice and encouragement to each of us on how galleries work, how to present your work, etc. In the end, we were allowed to show in their space. Very good people, all of them.

btw, seeing an Uelsmann in person is pretty staggering...

-Tim
    Last edited by dasBlute; 11-22-2010 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you need a very good "eye" to be able to make something close to Uelsmanns work, even in PS. It's a bit more than just cut and paste, but I agree with you TEX that it is technically easier. Although I find some of his work not to my own liking, others are just breathtaking. Thanks for reminding me.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago, he told me he's using Photoshop and digital methods. He may have been referring to his platinum prints, printing of which he farms out to a place in Texas - Houston, I believe, but I could be wrong.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry just gave a talk at the MOPA in San Diego a few weeks ago. He is still very much a darkroom worker. I'm assuming that his use of digital tools is limited to reproducing his work in a larger scale. The show of his that's up on the walls now, is all Silver Gelatin with the exception of one print (and his wife's work).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    I often wondered if Jerry felt left behind since the start of the digital age. His work which is so inspiring and skillful can be produced by a novice using PS (maybe not to the same level).
    A novice cannot do in Photoshop what Uelsmann does. I've used Photoshop for years for both commercial work and creative work and it is NOT easy. It took years to learn it and get skilled enough to be able to combine images so they look natural. Not something I do for my fine art work, but I have to for commercial and graphic design stuff I do fairly often.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin