Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,242   Posts: 1,680,085   Online: 829

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    35mm
    OK Bob, Thanks!

I thought I was going to get Bashed, I was asking the wrong questions or maybe going about it the wrong way.

My questions are all genuine , I am starting from scratch with regards film developing.
    I want to do black and white photos of size 8x10 and larger as when I get more experienced, so when someone says 8x10 is the limit for 35mm and you need a larger format for anything bigger , it sort of goofed my plans up a little because you start questioning who's right and who's wrong.

I know it sounds like I am trying to run before I can walk, but I just like to plan ahead, I always do that
    Last edited by treaklee; 02-02-2011 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Maybe one day we will see your work in MOMA and you can tell us all how to do things right.
    Start printing, questions and answers will follow.
    By all means continue with 35, many great artists before you did it that way.

As you get more experience and your tastes require different types of negs you will know.

I doubt Mr Rockwell has ever made a Fiber Print, I could be wrong but I do not think so .
    Quote Originally Posted by treaklee View Post
    OK Bob, Thanks!

I thought I was going to get Bashed, I was asking the wrong questions or maybe going about it the wrong way.

My questions are all genuine , I am starting from scratch with regards film developing.
    I want to do black and white photos of size 8x10 and larger as when I get more experienced, so when someone says 8x10 is the limit for 35mm and you need a larger format for anything bigger , it sort of goofed my plans up a little because you start questioning who's right and who's wrong.

I know it sounds like I am trying to run before I can walk, but I just like to plan ahead, I always do that

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a few thoughts...
    If you don't have a clear idea of the aesthetic effect the grain can have on the viewer - be it even yourself and only yourself - try to enlarge b&w 35mm negatives processed by someone else, a random lab, or perhaps ones you know you screwed up. It might be an eye-opener. A 20x30" print, approximately 21x enlargement, can be absolutely fantastic and unique to behold just for the grain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no correlation between format and print size. Print whatever you like at any size you like. A 24" prints from 35mm is very possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It may be. If they do indeed know more than we do ourselves.

Consider, however, that our records in forums such as these, are permanently stored and searchable by us, our kids, students, and future generations. With correct information this can be an incredible resource, but with information that doesn't comply with reality, it rather becomes an impediment instead.

Forgive my perhaps too abrupt frankness before, but if somebody does research on the Internet ten years from now, and finds this thread somehow, I want them to know that it is in fact possible to make very large prints from a small negative, and that if proper care is applied in the whole process, from exposure to print finishing, they can look quite stunning and be spellbinding too.

- Thomas
    OK Thomas

I do understand what your saying, thank you for your replies to my posts, it all helps me out, with the theory, when I get the Dark room setup I'll most probably need some help with the practical
    It has all been interesting with the feedback what has stemmed from my first post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK Thomas

I do understand what your saying, thank you for your replies to my posts, it all helps me out, with the theory, when I get the Dark room setup I'll most probably need some help with the practical
    It has all been interesting with the feedback what has stemmed from my first post
    By the way - welcome to APUG.

You may want to introduce yourself by starting a thread in the "Introduce yourself to the APUG Community" Forum, which can be found here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go here, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/format.htm
    Scroll down till you get to 35mm
    Once you get through your phase of believing whatever KR says, you will look back at it and roll your eyes. KR is a self-styled "expert", who is an expert at nothing except garnering page views. Sometimes I agree with something he says, but it's coincidental, and I also am no expert. KR is not generally regarded with much respect; he is often self-contradictory, his comparisons of limited value when subjected to scrutiny, and his pictures haven't exactly inspired legions of new photographers. To me, he's kind of a clown who has figured out how to leech off the enthusiasm of people new to photography by styling himself a "guru". Someone like Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape, whose work I like, puts forth opinions others disagree with vehemently, and he has made statements on technical stuff that were flat-out wrong. So be careful of just accepting what any "expert' or "guru" says.
    You will soon learn that in photography, there is no gospel truth, and quoting what someone says as if it were absolutely true just shows how much you need to learn. The people who are "experts" often disagree. The people who have become accomplished and respected often disagree, and some have even spoken disrespectfully of other accomplished and respected photographers.
    Let experience, open-mindedness and careful thought be your guide in forming your opinions.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    treaklee

the one thing about rules is there are there to be broken.
    there is no rule to what size one can enlarge a negative.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just set up my first dark room, and I was pondering the same question about 35mm printing as that's my format. My conclusion was to buy an enlarger that could handle MF, just in case I was dissatisfied with the results from 35mm. But everything else (trays, easel, chem storage) was purchased with the plan of 8X10 max size. So far I'm really happy with the 8X10 size, especially with a slower film like PlusX for sharpness, or something speedy like Tri-X @1600 to show off the grain.

I am planning a MF purchase, but I'm not sure if I'll be going higher than 8X10 with it, at least in the short term. I only have so many walls, and the open spots are better filled with smallish prints.

The Ken Rockwell thing - any press is good press, I guess.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin