Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,797   Online: 884

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    heat, is the breath, and some feel it can help with bringing up image
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    heat, is the breath, and some feel it can help with bringing up image
    This technique sounds rather mystical and unrepeatable to be taken seriously.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    This technique sounds rather mystical and unrepeatable to be taken seriously.

Tom
    Darkroom printing is an art and artists can be quirky. Obviously she believes in her technique and that's all it matters. If I could print as well she does, I'd be breathing on it too

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't claim it worked or that i have tried, someone asked what was that about and i gave an answer.

We did, and sometimes still do keep warmer straight developer handy to place on small areas to punch up the image.

So serious or not, lots of things have been going on in the days of my 63 years of darkroom work and makes one wonder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't claim it worked or that i have tried, someone asked what was that about and i gave an answer.

We did, and sometimes still do keep warmer straight developer handy to place on small areas to punch up the image.

So serious or not, lots of things have been going on in the days of my 63 years of darkroom work and makes one wonder.
    Ann,

My apologies. The remark directed at the technique in the video rather than at yourself.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I first used localized warming in the developer tray about 30 years ago. But then, that was in a newspaper darkroom, and "fine gradation" and "archival quality" weren't exactly high on the priority list.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Darkroom printing is an art and artists can be quirky. Obviously she believes in her technique and that's all it matters. If I could print as well she does, I'd be breathing on it too
    Well yes, but darkroom printing is also a process that conforms to certain principles, which is why I'm skeptical of the "mystical" approach.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Well yes, but darkroom printing is also a process that conforms to certain principles, which is why I'm skeptical of the "mystical" approach.

Tom
    Sure, Tom, that is true and I am sure she sticks to that. But, a little pixie dust doesn't hurt sometimes

Shooter
    Multi Format

this is interesting...does it work for all developers, and how warm is the developer used to "punch up the image". Do you do it before or after fixing?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hm, warm is about 80 degree, and before, while the print is still in the developer. It would work with fiber, but never tried it with RC, but who knows.

some folks with use their hand, or fingers to apply just straight developer thinking that body heat would do the trick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin