Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,330   Online: 913

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice video, no I don't speek french....

Did anyone notice what enlarger was being used? ......Durst L12000

I have one too........ was she was using a Condenser head? it is hard to tell, it could be a Ilford multigrade head. Which would explain the Green light.

What I want is that big Fibre Paper Glazer.......I curently use a big mounting press
    and stick them to a mount with tissue to keep them flat..

The warm developer trick would be worth a try out...

Thanks

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    some folks with use their hand, or fingers to apply just straight developer thinking that body heat would do the trick
    I think that may have been what she was doing when rubbing the print with gloved hands. For what it's worth, I've heard of printers blowing hot breath on prints, too. I mean, if it works for an attractive French woman ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I tried the breathing trick on an RC print this morning and couldn't see any effect

I was a bit scared about actually "kissing" the developer soaked print as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About two thirds into the video, where she develops the picture with the smiling kids, you'll see another smallish compartment between the developer and stop bath. Now I understand that this must contain warm developer. She dips part of the picture into this compartment and then breathes unto the print. And she also massages areas of the print with her hands by carrying over warm developer.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A litle warm handed massage and a warm breath can make anyone feel good, so why not a print.
    Thank you, ooze, for sharing the video, it was realy inspiring. Especially the part where she is handling the
    ferry cyanide for bleaching parts of the print.

Karl-Gustaf

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there are lots of "tricks" we used with fiber graded papers, that don't work very well with RC papers.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful ! It is nice to see her burning, dodging and bleaching so gracefully. Blowing on the paper (drying) where she wants to reduce the effect.
    No timers, no notes, no calculations, no testing, no hurry ! An eye-opener for me.
    She just works her way through each of the steps, which do the same, until she sees what she wants.
    More like a painter, than a lab technician !
    I guess by using various subtile techniques to obtain a local effect, she reduces the visibility of her manipulation (no halos etc).
    Inspires me to loosen up a bit and work more by feel.
    The french voice just explains the various steps everyone over here knows, nothing special. And a lot of words are the same in English. Just listen.
    It is the result that is special.
    Last edited by AmsterdamMartin; 11-28-2010 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there was a timer and she did make a test print, of course we only saw that once but i am sure that happens. Even Master printers make a trial to detemine sutle changes they may want to make. They are not testing to get a base time.

It isn't that i didn't appreciate what she was doing, but that is nothing more or nothing less than most experienced printers do.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent video, enjoyed it!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Well yes, but darkroom printing is also a process that conforms to certain principles, which is why I'm skeptical of the "mystical" approach.

Tom
    Its also an art and she is making a full time living from it, something to learn from rather that criticize maybe?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin