Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,660   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford 500 - change bulb?

I have an Ilford 500H and like it very much except for the fact of shorter times on most papers than I wish for. If I remember corectly the first 500's came with two 150watt bulbs for a total of 300 watts and then it was changed to two 300 watt bulbs for a total of 600 watts - which is what I have.

I was going to get a one or two stop ND filter but would prefer to try changing the bulbs to 150 watt power out instead. As this is controlled by the cpu inside the controller - would that somehow mess things up or is it an option for me?
    Does anyone know and any idea what kind of 150 bulb was fitted in the first run?

I'm getting some times on some paper in the 4-6 second range which is nuts.

I've been doing 6x7 mostly and with the medium format diffusion box. If I put the 4x5 size diffusion box, by my thinking I will not have any problems and the times should strech out a bit (or a lot?). Any advice in that regard?

Thanks!
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pavel,

I've been printing with a Multigrade 500 head (600W) this afternoon and set the 100mm lens to f/16 to make the exposures easier to manage. 4x5" diffusion box with 645 negatives, 8x10 prints.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard it is best to stick with the 300w bulbs (total 600w) to not loose blue light, which is important for the contrast calibration. What you can do is to take out the diffuser panels out of the mixing box and replace them with white perspex to get more time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. I didn't think of an imballance in the light. I double checked and it does have the 600watt. I guess I will get a one stop ND filter as I had planned.

I measured the light difference between the correct medium format diffusion box and the oversized (for 6x7) 4x5 box and was surprised at how great it was. The medium format measured at 0.6 ev while the correct size box at the same settings was 2.0 ev. I may try printing with the larger, dimmer 4x5 box as see how that goes.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    I measured the light difference between the correct medium format diffusion box and the oversized (for 6x7) 4x5 box and was surprised at how great it was. The medium format measured at 0.6 ev while the correct size box at the same settings was 2.0 ev. I may try printing with the larger, dimmer 4x5 box as see how that goes.
    I use the 4x5" box only...also with medium format film. I don't bother changing boxes. No problem at all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like suggested, just use the 4x5 box.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I also just use the 4x5 box for everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The smaller diffuser boxes might be useful when lith printing.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too just use the 4x5 box for everything.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Putting in a pair of 150W bulbs in a 600W head would work, and, being of equal wattage, they would not upset the green/blue balance. (Whereas putting 300W bulbs in a 300W head would overheat and damage the head). The bulb has to be 120V. There appear to be two bulbs: ESD and EZK, I'm not sure which is the correct one.
    I once measured the relative intensities of the boxes. The 6x7 box is only half a stop brighter than the 4x5 one, and the the 35mm box is only twice as bright. So like the others, I only use the 4x5 box.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin