Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,915   Online: 791

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF

glass carrier

This is interesting as for several years I have used a glassless carrier that fits in a durst 138s neg carrier the metal carrier fits around the neg top and bottom ala a besseler or super chromega neg holder 21/4 square 6x9 and 5x4 glassless carrier and no real problems especially dust etc.
    This year I have been using 35mm rather than any larger formats and have noticed slight variation in focus presuming that the curl of the 35mm film to be a culprit I will try the glass carrier that comes with the durst I generally stop down to the 2nd smallest aperture of the nikon 50/2.8 and yet some other negs no worries.
    My general comment about glass carriers is the safest place for them is in the draw were they can,t be broken and use glassless due to the surfaces
    the light passes through.
    regards
    Barry Treleaven

Shooter
    35mm RF

glass carrier

update on the glass or no glass thread
    tried 1 neg today in the glassless carrier
    subject a native coastal low brush lots of silver bark and edges to judge sharpness
    print 1: LOOKS SHARP fairly bounces of the light box +overhead viewer
    critic my other half comment that looks sharp
    change over the carrier to the durst glass carrier top and bottom
    made sure they were clean etc.
    print 2: LOOKS SHARPER METER read 8.6 sec up from 6.6 glassless
    checked with 8x loupe the print is definately sharper and more even
    critic Oh that looks better.
    the glass carrier opens up to 6x9 so will try some MF NEGS next week
    as working away from home.
    regards
    Barry Treleaven

Shooter
    35mm

Glass carrier for 35mm

I have a Durst S45. I have the glass carrier..nega 138 and a full set of metal masks. I use the optimum aperture on my enlarging lens, f4.. to print. Doing this very much shows the difference between the metal masks and using glass. What I have been doing is to use the bottom metal mask and using the AN glass from a Gepe 6x7 glass slide mount that I tape in place with strapping tapping tape to the metal mask.I view the taped combination on a light box before printing with 7x loupe to spot any dust between the glass and the negative base. If I see any I loosen the tape on one side and get rid of the dust and tape it back together and reexamine it. There is no reason that one should have any dust spots on the print when doing this. In my opinion the extra effort before printing is a handsome pay back compared to the time spent on print spotting.

The quality difference between metal and glass as far as sharpness is very easily seen.

I have just received but have not yet tried Denglass that I intend to use instead of AN glass. I am hoping that using the Denglass which is coated on both sides will increase my sharpness ove the use of AN glass due to the pattern on the AN glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use to tape negs down to avoid glass. Poor mans stretch carrier. I would need to tape negs down if I had a long exposer for the print. Heat from the enlarger lamp would cause the neg to pop. If your negs are popping you can turn on the lamp to get the pop. Than refocus the neg and place the paper in and do your print or use tape.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For what is worth, I use a glass carrier to enlarge my 8x10 negatives and sandwiches (negs + masks) with excellent results, without having to use an ANR glass.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whether you need AN glass will depend in part on the film. Sheet film is more likely to have retouching surfaces on one or both sides, and this can keep down the newton's rings. T-max films seem very slick and prone to newton's rings.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin