Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,262   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ralph:

Re your "typical" images (see caption under first photograph in the linked to article).

Somehow they don't look like my "typical" images .
    As long as we all celebrate God's beautiful creations in our own typical way.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Over the years, I've picked up several Paterson 'Test Strip Makers' but the only use I've ever found for one is to stick it under the darkroom door when I needed some air...

Am the only person here to find it the most gratuitously redundant piece of darkroom equipment ever invented? It's fiddly and it's not big enough to make a proper test strip. At least those incredibly expensive dodging kits actually work and you can even eat a chocolate teapot.

What's wrong with a good old bit of card?

Regards
    Jerry

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    ... What's wrong with a good old bit of card? ...
    Only one thing: it can't make a test strip with different exposures of the same image area. I do however agree somewhat with you opinion about the equipment mentioned. That's why developed a different piece of kit, which can do both kinds of test strips. It beats a simple card hands-down, except as a door stop. The card is more flexible to do that job.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Over the years, I've picked up several Paterson 'Test Strip Makers' but the only use I've ever found for one is to stick it under the darkroom door when I needed some air...

Am the only person here to find it the most gratuitously redundant piece of darkroom equipment ever invented? It's fiddly and it's not big enough to make a proper test strip. At least those incredibly expensive dodging kits actually work and you can even eat a chocolate teapot.

What's wrong with a good old bit of card?

Regards
    Jerry
    Jerry,

How would you like another one? You can have mine. ;-)

I like the idea of being able test the same area of the print for each exposure. The only way I can see this working is for the test strip to move in steps. Hey, I can do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Saunders Colour Proofing Easel that does four identically cropped 4x5 test prints on the same 8x10 sheet - simple, elegant and no moving parts.

Admittedly it is a bit large, and sometimes a 4"x5" "strip" is awkward for tests, but I find it works really well.

I even have the instructions .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I made a test printer to Ralph Lambrecht's design and even uploaded photos to another similar thread on this site last year (but can't work out how to link to it).
    Apart from the other pluses noted above, it seemed to me that all the commercial devices gave 6 strips, which means you get 2 or three darker and 2 or 3 lighter strips, whereas I want 3 darker and 3 lighter. I don't want to struggle to remember which was my starting exposure - was it the third or the fourth? And finally my RH Designs Analyser gives me 7 strips automatically, 3 darker and three lighter than baseline. Making a custom test strip printer is a perfect project for a rainy weekend.
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin