Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,112   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson Test Strip Maker

Can anyone tell me if the Paterson Test Strip Printer has a base on which the paper sits onto? If not, then all is good. If so, then I have a couple of further questions.

Do you need to remove the easel to use the device, or does it just sit straight onto the surface on which you lay your paper (easel base)?

Does it give slightly different exposure results to the full size print, or is the small amount of distance of the paper to lens negligible?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I've always just used a piece of board to make strips, but I'd like to speed the process, whilst still giving accurate results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has a base which is about 1/4 inch thick. This is enough to throw focus off a bit if you lay it on the easel but doesn't appreciably affect exposure, unless you're making very small prints. It's a handy device but more often than not I just lay a piece of paper on the easel and use a piece of card.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Richard, thanks for the info, just what I needed to know.

BTW, nice to chat to you last night on the phone, and I look forward to receiving my Stopclock Pro next week!

Regards
    Ty

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found that the Paterson's height is very close to my easel's height so no problem but if not then focus neg onto the Paterson, do the strips then refocus on your easel. Certainly the slight difference in enlarger column height isn't going to affect exposure by enough to be detectable IMO

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found Ralph Lambrecht's idea of making a masking jig to slide the test paper under the same area of the projected image very useful.

It allow different time exposures of the same are of the image to be reviewed. I find it is a very useful improvement, when used with his f/stop printing times approach.

I find that (after many years of learning) I can visually 'eyeball' the white light aperture settign to be somehwere in the 8-16 second range most of the time. I add in the MG filter that I think is my best first guess for the contrast to be used.

I then print 7 1x5" strips onto a piece of 5x7 paper, for times of 8, 10.1, 12.7, 16, 20.2, 25.4 and 32 seconds.

This test strip shows me the nuances of tone that differnt times give. It als guides me if I have picked the right contrast filter as a first guess, and acts as a first step to a guide of where dodges and burns are likely needed.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    BTW, nice to chat to you last night on the phone, and I look forward to receiving my Stopclock Pro next week!

Regards
    Ty
    Hi Ty - I didn't realise it was you asking the question! Anyway, your StopClock's on its way .
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I have found Ralph Lambrecht's idea of making a masking jig to slide the test paper under the same area of the projected image very useful.
    If you can find it, Durst made a very nice printer where the paper slid under an aperture.
    Nicholas O. Lindan
    f-stop enlarging timer - http://www.nolindan.com/da/fstop/index.htm

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    It has a base which is about 1/4 inch thick. This is enough to throw focus off a bit if you lay it on the easel but doesn't appreciably affect exposure, unless you're making very small prints. It's a handy device but more often than not I just lay a piece of paper on the easel and use a piece of card.
    There is no reason to worry about a focusing issue. First of all, it's a test strip, and secondly, the depth of field will normally cover the focus error. For example, for an 8x10 enlargement from a 35mm negative, the depth of field at the baseboard is 28 mm at f/8!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I have found Ralph Lambrecht's idea of making a masking jig to slide the test paper under the same area of the projected image very useful. ...
    I'm glad you like it, Mike. Quite a few people have built one, and I've seen them in all kinds of materials such as cardboard, plastic, wood and stainless steel! It's still available here:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...PrinterEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I'm glad you like it, Mike. Quite a few people have built one, and I've seen them in all kinds of materials such as cardboard, plastic, wood and stainless steel! It's still available here:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...PrinterEd2.pdf
    Ralph:

Re your "typical" images (see caption under first photograph in the linked to article).

Somehow they don't look like my "typical" images .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin