Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,195   Online: 847

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I do not see a paper safe on your list. A MUST for any working darkroom. ...
    I knew, there must be something I don't have in my darkroom yet.

Actually, there is more on the OP's list that I don't have, or have and don't use:

Antistatic brush (really like to get one, but of the electrical kind)
    Easel (mine is just a steel plate)
    Squeegee (simply a dangerous piece of equipment)
    Air evac bottles (don't like them, don't work well below 50% and hard to keep clean)

Spotting kit? (Spotone if you can find it, or Marshalls which is still made)
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 01-26-2011 at 01:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I knew, there must be something I don't have in my darkroom yet.
    You can have mine

I acquired it last year, in a job lot - a complete darkroom setup, however I'll never use it and in nearly 50 years of darkroom work have never seen one in anyone's darkrooms.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You can have mine

I acquired it last year, in a job lot - a complete darkroom setup, however I'll never use it and in nearly 50 years of darkroom work have never seen one in anyone's darkrooms.

Ian
    That was my point as well. Never had one, never missed it, but I do have a light-tight drawer.

http://www.darkroomagic.com/Darkroom...ightDrawer.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You can have mine

Ian
    You need to visit my bathroom/darkroom .

IMHO Paper safes are probably most useful for those of us who are short of counter space and/or have to work from temporary darkrooms.

I can and have worked without them, but I prefer working with them.

My favourite version? - the custom made, permanently installed light-tight paper drawer.

EDIT: I see Ralph likes them too!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think I could live without my light tight drawer. Working in and out of spare empty Ilford bags and envelopes ( which I have done, and does work) is a little like trying get through a Canadain winter with dress shoes and galoshes, rather than just leaving the nice shoes at the office and buying a pair of Sorels.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I'd agree about the light tight drawer(s) if you have space for them, they are far more practical than paper safes.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Regarding print drying, it's best to air dry toned prints (preferably face down on plastic screens after lightly squeegeeing excess water off). The screens can be hosed off occasionally. The apron on heat dryers can become a source of contamination for fine prints but are useful for proof prints.

Regarding timers, there are digital timers that are offer very precise timing (especially if you want to use stop-clock methods), and there are analog types. I use both kinds for different purposes; for dodging and burning I find the use of a metronome (wind-up type bought at a music store) useful that I can set manually to one beat/second so I can keep my eyes on the work. For some wet side functions (with my workflow) are best aided by a timer that counts UP instead of down; my digital GraLab does both (and other stuff as well).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    ... for dodging and burning I find the use of a metronome (wind-up type bought at a music store) useful that I can set manually to one beat/second so I can keep my eyes on the work. ...
    Ansel Adams, being a trained pianist, suggested and used a metronome. I tried it, but to be honest, it reminds me a bit of a Chinese water torture. It gets to me after a while. The StopClock is a better solution for me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Music is essential IMO!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Music is essential IMO!
    Many people feel that way. I have a small radio in the darkroom too, but it's usually off, because my darkroom is also a hideout for me, hiding and getting away from it all when I need to.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin