Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,438   Posts: 1,596,940   Online: 1191

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ansel Adams, being a trained pianist, suggested and used a metronome. I tried it, but to be honest, it reminds me a bit of a Chinese water torture. It gets to me after a while. The StopClock is a better solution for me.
    During one of my workshops with AA I witnesses his metronome - it was a rather loud electronic type - and frankly I don't think I could've tolerated it for long, maybe due to its pitch. But mine is a quiet tick, and I find it very relaxing, much like a quiet living room with a grandfather clock . I recall reading of others who experienced his metronome and were driven batty by it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with you Ralph, I enjoy the quiet. To be honest, music is a distraction at times, especially when I'm focused in on a difficult negative(yes, even I get one).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light box or light table.
    Film clips.
    Drying racks (instead of "Print Dryer").
    Graduated cylinders.
    Mixing bucket and stirrer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    That was my point as well. Never had one, never missed it, but I do have a light-tight drawer.

http://www.darkroomagic.com/Darkroom...ightDrawer.pdf
    Gee, be teck-nickel, why don't you. Where did you write that in your book?

Should have typed 'Or some such device to keep unexposed paper unexposed.'

Here's another one. I haven't tried it yet, probably won't until if and when, sometime in the future, I get a permanent DR going. I read where a famous photographer would nuke his working and test prints to judge drydown more quickly. Just a little microwave.

Just thought I, the eccentric one, would throw that one out there.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you for all this valuable information. My darkroom also doubles as a bathroom and space is VERY limited. I have a small counter which is about 45 inches wide by 18 inches deep. The enlarger (turned sideways) takes up the lions share of space and I'm going to have to stack trays just so I can have space for them. I've considered trying to build my own vertical processor with plexiglass and aquarium glue but who knows if it would work? I've never actually seen a Nova in person and don't know all the ins and outs. I'm going to make a print washer and put it on the tank of the toilet and run a hose from the sink to it then drain it to the bathtub. This obviously isn't an ideal setup but I make due with what resources I have and make them work the best I can. Perhaps in the future I can graduate to a Nova processor to save space. Under the counter I have to design some storage system that will work. As far as a dry side and wet side I just don't have the room.

I live in rural Arkansas where photography isn't in great demand but it's what I enjoy doing and second hand darkroom equipment is hard to come by. I own everything to process negatives and have been doing that for years and scanning them into a computer but I find the digital prints lacking in character and I don't do photography for soulless results.

Sincerely,

Puma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Puma:

You might consider including your location in your description - it can enhance the information we share with you.

If you have access to one of the big box home improvement stores I'd suggest looking at their wired shelving for over the tub. It works better for me than plywood, and they'll cut it to size.

Here is a photo of my setup from a couple of years ago - since then I've replaced the trays with photo trays:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trays 1.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Matt, post your location. I live in West TN and you may be close to me. I am currently putting together a DR and when it's done will be open to those in the area that still shoot film and want to print instead of scan.

Joel
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Gee, be teck-nickel, why don't you. Where did you write that in your book?

Should have typed 'Or some such device to keep unexposed paper unexposed.'

Here's another one. I haven't tried it yet, probably won't until if and when, sometime in the future, I get a permanent DR going. I read where a famous photographer would nuke his working and test prints to judge drydown more quickly. Just a little microwave.

Just thought I, the eccentric one, would throw that one out there.

page 425

Ansel Adams proposed a microwave to dry FB test strips quickly. I have done it and it works well. At 600W a 5x7 piece of photographic paper is bone-dry within 60s. If you do it with RC or for more than a minute, you risk a fire. The resulting test strip is not fully representative of the final print. Print color and surface gloss will be different from an air-dried print. Consequently, the technique has technical limits and one should use the same equipment that is used to prepare food.

By the way, I have also used a microwave to speed dry film. Again, 60s are sufficient to dry a 120 roll of film on a plastic spool. Afterwards, the film is immediately usable to make prints. I did it to win a silly bet, but I would not do it or even propose it as a reasonable alternative to a regular film drier.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I live in Hot Springs.

I like the wired shelving idea instead of plywood as it would drain drips away easily. Would it be possible to use containers like tupperware that have sealable tops on them as trays? When I'm finished developing I can just seal the container instead of pouring the chemistry back into a jug?

I originally abandoned my home darkroom long ago because the setup and teardown effort was considerable and I had room mates that just were too inconvenienced by the process. I went to the film and scanning for the benefit of everyone. Whilst digging through some stuff I found an old work print and compared it to the inkjet and there was no contest, even with just a work print that I would have normally just given away. I can't ignore how much better a wet print is and I enjoy the process so much more. I can barely stand to look at a computer anymore.

Sincerely,

Puma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin