Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,471   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thread size on the Elgeet 135/4.5 ?

I can't figure out what the thread is on the Elgeet 135/4.5. Does anyone know?

It seems to be 32 or 32.5mm (or so) and I can't tell if it's 0.75 or possibly even finer. Then again it might not be metric at all as 1 1/4"=31.75mm. There doesn't seem to be much info on these things so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    JJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Iím unsure about the Elgleet lens, but the other US made enlarging lenses that Iíve examined use common fractional inch sizes and inch-based thread pitch.

For example, I have a 162mm f/4.5 Enlarging Raptar, itís flange, as well as a flange only from a smaller Raptar of unknown focal length.

The 162 Raptar has mounting thread of 1.994Ē outside diameter. It appears to be 2Ē x 30 threads per inch 60į unified v-thread. The 30 tpi thread gage fits well, while no similar metric pitch fits properly.

The smaller Raptar flange has 1 3/8Ē diameter x 30 tpi 60į unified v-thread.

All of the US enlarging lenses Iíve examined are marked ďMade in Rochester, NYĒ, so itís not surprising if they used a common threading standard.

From your comments about the thread size, itís likely 1.25Ē diameter x 30 tpi.

1.25Ē = 31.75mm, which is approximately your estimated diameter of 32mm to 32.5mm.

Given the scarcity of flanges in these sizes, itís advisable to buy a lens if, and only if, the proper flange is included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your help. I'll try to get a 1.25" flange and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    ...Given the scarcity of flanges in these sizes, itís advisable to buy a lens if, and only if, the proper flange is included.
    Truer words were never been spoken!

JJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 1944 ASA standard specifications for photo equipment lens threads includes 1.25 inch and 30 TPI, but also states that other threads may be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The 1944 ASA standard specifications for photo equipment lens threads includes 1.25 inch and 30 TPI, but also states that other threads may be used.
    Great! Thanks very much.

JJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin