Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,172   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    you can make a non-edge fade border by using a card cut out and raising and lower it during the exposure.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 4x5 contact printing, I hand cut out a frame out of cardboard, the center opening is just larger than my negative, which gives a slightly sloppy rough black frame around the image but leaves the rest of the 5x7 paper white.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was looking through Diane Arbus Revelations and found something relevant.

Diane Arbus transitioned from hard edge easel-masked borders to black edge filed-out-negative-carrier borders and then later in 1969 to soft borders.

Neil Selkirk tried to duplicate the technique Diane Arbus used when he made prints for an exhibition of her work.

He found strips of cardboard about 2 1/2 inches long by 1/4 inch wide with tape on the ends hanging from the enlarger column. She would tape these strips to the top of the negative carrier.

When they disintegrated, Neil tried better cardboard but it didn't look the same. To duplicate her edge he found the source of her strips was cheap cardboard boxes containing negative sleeves. When cut down to the right size the edges were hairy, and when he suppressed the hairs with saliva-wetted fingers it made the edges perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use the easel blades to hold the paper down but don't use them to mask the projected image...rough edges without having to file your carrier.

See an example here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use "paper" of any kind, be sure it is opaque so the light doesn't darken the emulsion during exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could simulate the look of hand coated paper by painting your borders on a transparent overlay. By painting the edges, you would have a white border; or by painting the center you could then overexpose the border to get black borders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin