Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,052   Online: 823

Thread: Densitometer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Densitometer

I've been reading AA's "The Print" and was curious as to how many fellow APUG'ers have or use a densitometer. Ansel sure touts the benefits of one, and I can see his point. Of those of you who do, or use something to achieve a similar result, what is it that you do? Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    David,

I have used an older Xrite 301 black and white densitometer for years. More recently I added an Xrite 810 color transmission and reflective densitometer.

You will find a wide range of opinions on the use of this equipment. I think that it is the only true way to learn to know your materials and how to make the negative and paper work together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

I use a Macbeth color transmission densitometer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use an Xrite 810 color densitometer (which I got 2nd hand for very little money). I use it for b&w film speed tests, and little more.

If you use pyro or other staining developers, the color channels are useful.

You can do fine without one, but I do find it useful, and never regretted the decision. If I were going to to major comparisons between films & developers I think it would be essential, but I have not done so.

Charlie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In the last century, I had a Densichron (with REAL VACCUUM TUBES!) that I used as a transmisiion densitometer (for the two times I actually did the Zone System tests) and more frequently as an enlarging meter.

Now, I have an X-Rite 400 reflection densitometer which is just dandy for print evaluation and testing of pt/pd prints printed from digital negatives.

Sorry about the hybrid posting,here.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an X-Rite 810 transmission/reflection densitometer which I bought for $200 on eBay. For the technically inclined, a densitometer and a step wedge can be important tools for gaining insight into what happens at each stage of the reproduction process.

NER

Images
    I use a simple Kodak Model 1 transmission densitometer and home-made zone board to test films for ideal ratings and proper development times. I suppose one could arrive there by trial and error, but I don't know of any way to draw curves without a densitometer. Model 1 densitomers show up on eBay from time to time. If you buy one, make sure it has the filter tray.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin