Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 691

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I will try a bottle of chemistry from a local store, (if I can find one !!!) As for temperature, the dev was a little warm if anything 'cos I made it from the hot, new stock solution. It is weird - bit like me !!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check your enlarger lens, at this time of year a cold lens can get condensation inside as it's used and warms up. At worst you get physical condensation you can see, but more invidious is it happens and dries leaving a film of minute dust particles - this happens a few times and you have a hazy lens giving low contrast.

That's speaking from experience, it's happened to me, luckily my lens was easy to take apart & clean. Now my lenses are stored in the warmth.

We've had a couple of threads like this before this time of year

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    But your "sodium sulfite" is not some new buy, possibly from a less reputable or clear origin? It would be all to easy to mix up sodium sulfite with sodium thiosulfate. Not only the names are slightly alike, the chemical formulas look quite similar too...

And there is even related substances like sodium bisulfite and sodium metabisulfite, used in for example wine making to complicate things , although I don't think a mix up with these would cause your issues, as they seem to have functions similar to sodium sulfite as oxygen scavengers / antioxidants
    Sodium Bisulphite punches you in the face with sulphur dioxide when you open the container or mix it in water, so you should be able to tell quite easily

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear Bob;
    eliminate the BZT and try again.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This could be easily tested by making a contact sheet. If the contact sheet has good contrast and the enlargement doesn't - you know it's the lens.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Check your enlarger lens, at this time of year a cold lens can get condensation inside as it's used and warms up. At worst you get physical condensation you can see, but more invidious is it happens and dries leaving a film of minute dust particles - this happens a few times and you have a hazy lens giving low contrast.

That's speaking from experience, it's happened to me, luckily my lens was easy to take apart & clean. Now my lenses are stored in the warmth.

We've had a couple of threads like this before this time of year

Ian
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks All :

I had eliminated the BZT Denise when I just mixed a new stock of straight Dektol. So that went out when I dumped my "Easy 130". I've also been adding the BZT at that rate for quite a while now to cool the print tones without issue.

As regards the lenses Ian, I made some 8x10s from negs as well as the step wedge and they were pretty sharp. In fact, I'd been out of the darkroom for about 6 weeks and I just ran some film tests with GSD-10, (How else to use the extra Glycin ??) The contact proofs gave me a problem. I couldn't understand why my max. black exposure resulted in a very weak E.I. and blown out highlights after 75 minutes semi-stand development at 21 deg. C. Of course Grade 00 will do that for you !!!

I'm coming down to the Dektol itself. I usually buy 30 or so gallon packs at a time and my last purchase was probably 12 - 18 months ago. Having said that, the powder is pure white and I've certainly seen ultra-old Dektol in the past where the powder is brown. No hint of that here - nor in the color of the freshly mixed stock solution.

Perhaps I'll just restrict myself to long range subjects on bright sunny days! either that or shoot myself

Really appreciate the collaboration all.

Bob H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Suddenly, both Grades 2 and 2½ are printing at Grade 1 contrast.
    I'd just increase the contrast on the head to get the results you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I hear that. My concern is that if I have to print "normal" contrast negs on a Grade 4 setting, I have no room to play with for flat negs or scenes. My alternative would be to essentially overdevelop all my films so that they print easily on Grade 0 (My Current Grade 2) - but that too has its downsides. I'm calibrating some new film/dev combos and I've always done this so that normal negs print well on Grade 2 - 2 1/2. The idea is that this gives me room for those long and short DR scenes when they occur. I can print existing negs OK by raising the contrast as you say. But I'd really rather nail this issue down so I don't have to do workarounds on a permanent basis.

BTW I just noticed that in my last post made late, (for a man MY age !!!) last night I said blown out highlights. I meant, of course real dull and dingy highlights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There isn't any chance you accidently left a filter in the drawer and are using more than one? Don't ask why this is my thought.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    And nobody has mentioned dichroic filter degradation either... If you are using a dichro head, try doing your tests with regular multigrade filters or the like (newer ones). May the magenta filter in your head has faded or is not being positioned properly by the dial. Just a thought. You could try some graded paper too, just as a control.

Good luck,

Doremus Scudder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin