Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,209   Online: 935

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I bought a box of 11x14 Ilford FB MG with the idea of cutting it and printing 7"x11". Then I started printing on 8x10 Polymax single weight and never got around to it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Flotsam's approach is the correct one. Any 4:5 ratio (all papers are) when cut in half come VERY close to 2:3. Your full frame 35's will fit perfectly onto a half sheet of 11X14 ie. 11X7, or 8X5 or 16X10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x9 is the size for 8x11, that leaves a 1" margin in each side, which is great for toning.
    You'll find after a while that cropping a bit here and there is the way to go
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when you cut 30x40 cm paper to two halfs, you take two 20:30 pieces - and that the ratio you are looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just like Ann and Titrisol said to try, we printed 35mm @ 6x9 on 8x10 sheets in night class. No cropping required. If you want to trim the paper, you have handy test strips...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always print the full frame on 10x8 paper, aiming for an image of approx. 7 1/2 x 5. I usually mount in a 400mm square frame and i'm happy with the final results.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This was my first post, and I appreciate the great response. I'm probably going to have numerous "rookie" questions about printing, and there seem to be a lot of very helpful people here. I have only used fixed easels, and am not familiar with the adjustable type. Is this what you would use to print some of the sizes suggested above, such as 6x9 on 8x10 paper, or on an 11x7 sheet cut from 11x14?

Robert, I notice that you're in Kaneohe, Hawaii. I grew up in the next town over (Kailua). I've been gone 14 years, but sure miss it now and then!

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I print 6x9 on a 10x8 I hold the paper flat in an fixed easel but size and focus the image on the paper so that it doesn't touch the easel borders.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nige,

Does this method give you sharp image borders? I would have thought they'd be a bit fuzzy?

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a bit fuzzy. Depends on your neg carrier. If you want sharp edges then you'll need to mask the paper at the easel, and to do that with the paper/printing size we're talking about you'll either need a 4 bladed easel or to make up a mask out of cardboard (matt board with a beveled edge would work well I think).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin