Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,483   Online: 850

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Printing 35mm Full Frame?

I'm fairly new to black & white and printing, but am enjoying the learning process. My problem is this: I shoot 35mm and have never gotten used to having to crop images down from the 2:3 ratio. I find this ratio appealing as compared to what an 8x10 print gives, I also like composing images in the viewfinder and not having to think about leaving extra space at the edges for cropping. My question is, how can someone print this ratio on paper? 5x7 paper is close to the right ratio, but I'd like to print a bit larger. If they made 8x12 paper that would do it, but I've not heard of paper this size. Do I have to buy 11x14 and cut it? Seems kind of wasteful. Any suggestions would really be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I print full frame from 35mm using 8 x 10 paper I usually make the longest side of the image about 8" leaving a 1" border each side and at the top with the bottom slightly wider. I don't like prints made almost to the edge of the paper so I don't consider a smaller image on larger paper a waste, more a part of the presentation of the image.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dale,
    You could try 8.25" x 11.75" (A4) not a perfect 2:3 but very close
    Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ganz? makes a one size easel for the 35mm format on an 8x10 sheet of paper. Its called the "Speed-E-Z" or something like that. It comes in many sizes.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To print 35mm full frame I usually do what Les suggests. Sometimes I do 4x9's in a Durst Commask easel that has fold up flaps to change the size you wish to use (you end up with 5mm borders). If the prints for someone I make it 5x7 to suit a regular frame. I also crop them but those get printed to 8x10 dimensions (with a border)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Dale,
    You could try 8.25" x 11.75" (A4) not a perfect 2:3 but very close
    Tony
    Note sure where Dale is, A4 is a bit hard to find in the US.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert oops good point Les beat me to the reply in any case, I must learn to type faster LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was shooting a lot of 35mm sometimes I would split an 11x14 sheet in half for a full frame. Came pretty close to a good fit.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Robert oops good point Les beat me to the reply in any case, I must learn to type faster LOL
    You know what they say about the US and UK: "two peoples, separated by a common language", and sometimes by measurements (although, I still say, we drive on the correct side of the road over here . )
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try 6 x 9. Speed easel does make an easel that is basically 8 x10 but the border is not the 1/4 inch around. the sides are the standard 1/4 inch with the long side being deeper. i can measured and get back to you.

I always shoot full frame and encourage my students not to crop. It has been my experience that too many people use cropping in place of careful viewing and thinking.

That does not mean one should not crop, just don't use it as a clean up method. Then with 35mm film we have so little surface to begin with why take away any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin