Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,958   Posts: 1,558,090   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Recommendations on a 135mm enlarging lens for 4x5

What are some suggestions for a good 135mm enlarging lens to enlarge 4x5's?

Opinion on Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm f/5.6?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 135mm EL-Nikkor and am very happy with it. I use it when making larger prints than my 150mm Rodagon will allow, and really can't tell them apart.

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had been dropped to the ground a newly bought Rodenstock Enlarging lens. I got it , all blades were looking like bombed. I turned the dial and everything went perfect. This is perfect engineering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 1960ish Wollensak 135 that I really love, came with my Omega Pro Lab 4x5. Many people are to quick to dismiss any of the Wollys because they aren't modern, but at one time they were top shelf glass.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You simply can't go wrong with any of the three big makers: Rodenstock, Schneider, or Nikkor. As long as they are the newer models and multi-coated they will all perform great. Some people say the APO version of the 150mm lenses from Germany are sharper, but I have no experience with them.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    What are some suggestions for a good 135mm enlarging lens to enlarge 4x5's?

Opinion on Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm f/5.6?
    Why 135 and not 150?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    +1
    better coverage with a 150mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Why 135 and not 150?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like 135 better than 150 because I don't need to raise the enlarger head up as high. I can't see the dials when it's up super high. I also print medium format sometimes without changing the lens, and again it helps with the height.

I use a Nikkor 135 5.6 and have no problems with coverage on 4x5 use. It's not like a regular camera where you'll be doing a bunch of tilts and shifts and such.

The only other LF enlarging lens I've used was a 160-something mm wolly which was very cloudy and seriously hurting the contrast. Probably an abused specimen. I also didn't like it because it had no clicks for the stops.

The nikkor clicks for each stop, which is nice in the dark for me. The 80mm componon-s lens on my other enlarger is selectable to click or not to click, has illuminated stops, and has a lever to go wide open for focusing and return to a preselected aperture. It's very nice to use and I'd be tempted to get one for LF, but the nikkor is working great and without complaint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 135mm Rodagon's and Componon's are designed and optimised for 5x4 enlarging, in fact a 105mm almost covers 5x4 with vignetted corners, in practice with an enlarger at the distances involved we are only using the middle of the image circle.

I've used 135mm Componon's and more recently a Componon S for over 30 years for 5x4 and also have a 150mm Rodagon & a Componon S. Up to at least 24"x20" there's no differences in coverage/edge sharpness.

For larger prints I've nearly always used the 150mm Componon S mainly because that was the lens on my horizontal enlarger.

There can be significant advantages in using a 135mm, particularly with a desktop enlarger where column height is a restriction to maximum print size.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For many years I used the original lens on a 4x5 DFeJur enlarger. A much newer EL-Nikkor hasn't made me a noticably better printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin