Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,927   Posts: 1,522,141   Online: 929

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Some extra enlarging lenses.

I just bought an Omega 4x5 XL enlarger that is like new. It is a complete package with lenses, contrast filters, timer etc.
    I already had a 6x7 enlarger with a 50mm lens and a 90mm lens.

Now I have 2-50's, 80mm, 90mm, 105mm and a 135mm.
    The 50 is for 35mm, I have been using the 90mm for my 6x7 negatives and the 135 is for my 4x5.
    What about the 80 and 105? What is their strong suit?

Obviously I am trying to decide what to keep and what to sell/trade.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 80 is good for 6x6 and 6x4.5, but you have them covered with the 90mm. The 105 is most often used for 6x9cm(2.25x3.25). I have a 90mm Wollensak that was designed t cover 6x9cm negatives, I use it for that and smaller medium format, plus smaller 35mm enlargments(3.5x5 and 5x7)
    Congrats on the Omega. I bought an entire DR with a ProLab 4x5 a couple of years ago, love the machine.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is one of the Omegas that take the three lens turrets, just get a turret or two and you can switch between 6 lenses at will .

The longer lenses (e.g. 105mm for 6x7 or 6x4.5) work great with smaller enlargements - they give you more space for dodging or burning, and just about eliminate clearance issuers if you have a largish paper easel.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 35mm enlargements, I usually use 50mm but if I have to make small prints, I use 80mm. My enlarger head doesn't come low enough to make 5x7 with 50mm. Likewise, for 645 negs, I usually use 80mm but 105mm when necessary.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 80mm for 35mm, a 105mm for any 120 format, and a 150mm for 4x5.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin