Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,560   Online: 1109

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

pin registered neg carrier for devere 8x10

I use an 80's vintage Devere 8x10 enlarger and have been looking for someway to incorporate pin registration into my negative carrier for doing masking etc...any recommendations?

thanks -andrew

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is unlikely that you will find a pin registered negative carrier for your enlarger. Condit is no longer in business.

The place to begin is with a film punch. If you could find one of the old Condit punches on Ebay then the next step is to have a high precision machine shop duplicate the hole spacing of the punch into pins on the negative carrier.

I have done this with 4X5 and it is doable. Costly but doable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually the Beseler 4x5 glass carrier has enough space in it for low profile pins to be mounted to it. I made a set of 1/4" pins after getting a good film punch and using a piece of punched film as a guide drilled and tapped the carrier to mount the pins in. Mounted they hold the punched film in place and still clear the other half of the carrier.Any chance the Devere has a glass carrier and some clearance between the metal mounts for a set of pins?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

re: pins registered neg carrier

Thanks don, gary...there's a machine shop near me that i have used before..i have a condit film punch..the one that punches in diagonally opposite ends of the 8x10 film. sounds like i should take it all down to the shop and see if its doable...

thanks
    -andrew

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andrew,

In addition to my personal experience, I have encountered a photographer near me who has done the same thing that you are anticipating doing. He utilizes the same Condit punch that you describe.

The one other consideration that I might mention is that I found it important to incorporate not only pin registration of the negative in the carrier but also the negative carrier must be indexed into the negative stage of the enlarger. This becomes very important when one does multiple mask changes in the printing of an image.

In my enlarger modifications this amounted to "stops" on the two sides of the negative carrier with the negative stage of the enlarger acting as the rear "stop" for the negative carrier. I also incorporated a sliding/adjustable retainer that was incorporated in the left hand stop. This retainer utilizes three fine thread fasteners and firmly positions the negative carrier in the enlarger negative stage post in a repeatable manner.

Good luck. Masking allows one to take printing into new and exciting realms.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin