Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,974   Online: 829

Shooter
    35mm RF

Strange enlarging issue

Hi folks, I am having a weird problem with my enlarger and trying to enlarge 35mm using a 50mm lens.

I have an LPL7451, and a Nikkor 50mm f2.8.

I cannot for the life of me get any where close to a focus using this lens for 35mm film. I put the carrier in, and the image that comes out is very blurry. I tried to focus, when the bellow extends, the image gets even blurrier. When I turn it the other way, retract the bellow, the picture looks like it's focusing, but very soon, I run out of room to pull the below in any further.

I ended up using my 80mm lens instead.

I thought 50mm lens was meant for 35mm film? Right now, it feels like to me, the lens is just bit too far from the negative.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have the correct lensboard? I'm not familiar with your enlarger, but my Durst has different lensboards for 50mm and 75-80mm lenses. One would not work for the other.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you seen KHB's page on your enlarger?:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL7451.htm

I note that there are "reversible" lensboards - it may be that you need to reverse yours to use it.

In my experience, KHB is both knowledgeable and helpful.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, you are absolutely right(I think for now, as I am at work, and I can't test it.) I just looked it up LPL has a reversible lensboard. I must have attached it the wrong way.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mouren View Post
    Hi folks, I am having a weird problem with my enlarger and trying to enlarge 35mm using a 50mm lens.

I have an LPL7451, and a Nikkor 50mm f2.8.

I cannot for the life of me get any where close to a focus using this lens for 35mm film. I put the carrier in, and the image that comes out is very blurry. I tried to focus, when the bellow extends, the image gets even blurrier. When I turn it the other way, retract the bellow, the picture looks like it's focusing, but very soon, I run out of room to pull the below in any further.

I ended up using my 80mm lens instead.

I thought 50mm lens was meant for 35mm film? Right now, it feels like to me, the lens is just bit too far from the negative.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    I have a 7452, which is functionally the same. They usually come with reversible lens mounts. I use a 50mm lens for 35mm negatives, and to use a 50mm lens you need to reverse the lens mount. The lens mount for these enlargers should look like a sort of bowl-shaped thing, so with a 50mm lens make sure the "bowl" is pointing upward, so that the thread plane that accepts the lens ends up being recessed a little into the bellows assembly (ie closer to the negative stage).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Great. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar issue with the same lens in a Beseler 23C. The solution was to buy a recessed lens board, even though the consensus was that I shouldn't have needed one. Whatever does the trick is good enough for me, though!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is one of the very cool features of this enlarger, the lens mount/board works either way, as a recessed board or what would amount to an extended board. Just invert and screw the lens into the other side.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin