Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,545   Online: 853

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But I heard that modern color paper is very fast anyway, almost inconveniently fast for enlarging; is that true?
    I can't really answer that - much of my experience has been with industrial-level finishing, where the fancy lamphouses built by folks such as Lucht Engineering (long gone, I think) could expose 8x10 paper (from 35mm negs) in, say 400 milliseconds (~ 1/2 second). If high output is your goal, this is arguably not sensitive enough. On the other hand, if you want time to burn and dodge, these times are way too short.

I have a suspicion that your lamphouse will not be too efficient at getting light through your lens, which would greatly extend exposure time. If times are still too short, given that the lamphouse is your own design, you could probably easily modify it to leak away light. In enlargers/printers, It's lots easier to give away light-collecting efficiency than it is to to go the other direction.

Do you mean using RGB additive printing will be harder to learn...
    I think that, with computer-based controls, you can separate the two functions - adjustment input vs the actual hardware - so that this would not be an issue. I think it would be useful for your human interface to use the standard nomenclature of cc filters, just so you can talk to other printers, if nothing else. When someone says, for example, that a skin tone needs about 5 more units of yellow, this loosely means that the yellow-light-printing-exposure should be reduced by the equivalent of inserting, into a white-light beam, a filter with optical density of about 0.05, for yellow light. Alternatively, in an additive RGB system, you would want to reduce both the R(ed) and G(reen) light exposures to about 89% of the original (the math is 1/10^0.05 = 0.89). Anyway, in the lingo of the printers, this is simply boosting yellow in the print by 5 units.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Check on eBay. You'll probably have to get gelatin filters, and if you wait long enough you'll be able to find a large lot for cheap. Buying them individually would be easier but is generally more expensive per filter. I got lucky and found a huge lot of 3"x3" gels with a lot of useful ones in it.

#61 Green is also an option as is #25 Red (though perhaps too broad). I have a Kodak filter handbook which has extensive information about all the filters and if you find a large collection you'll find this book invaluable.
    Was that a recent auction with 75 or so filters in it? I bid on that too, you bastard.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hahaha, no. It was many moons ago (at least several months).... bitch.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    If times are still too short, given that the lamphouse is your own design, you could probably easily modify it to leak away light.
    The lamphouse is not my own design. I haven't modified me enlargers at all, only added the filter-switching mechanism to the optical path. There is no light loss except that caused by the filters.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The additive + subtractive method mentioned above may nor work depending on design. Blue + Yellow = no light at all! Also, the subtractive filters are not matched well to the additive filters.

And yes, learning the additive matrix is not easy for most people. That is a major reason that all printing changed to subtractive printing methods.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The additive + subtractive method mentioned above...
    PE, if this is in reference to my post, it is just a misunderstanding. I spoke of no such system, I referred separately to them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hahaha, no. It was many moons ago (at least several months).... bitch.
    Good thing it wasn't the same one, because I would hate to have to drive up to Kansas to smack you.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm. I take it you didn't win?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No, I didn't. It's a shame, too because I wanted to do an extensive test of filter factors with TMY-2. The person who bought them will probably end up just reselling them individually on ebay to turn a profit.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's lame. I had the best luck with a badly titled and described auction. He didn't say "gel" or "wratten" or any of the key search terms that most people are looking for, and none of the filters were described in the auction. I asked him and he told me what he had and I was "like whoa".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin