Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 846

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am also confused. It sounds like the Zonal Pro rinse is similar to the Ilford product just mentioned. I'm wondering if I can counteract the oxidation effects of the hypo eliminator via a selenium toning process?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both, Kodak HCA and Ilford Washaid, are very useful and highly recommended wash aids. Neither one of them is a hypo-eliminator. Ilford has chosen an unfortunate description for their wash aid. There is a difference between wash aids and hypo-eliminators. Use of the former is recommended, use of the latter is discouraged, because they really eliminate all hypo, and some remaining fixer is actually helpful for image stability.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Both, Kodak HCA and Ilford Washaid, are very useful and highly recommended wash aids. Neither one of them is a hypo-eliminator. Ilford has chosen an unfortunate description for their wash aid. There is a difference between wash aids and hypo-eliminators. Use of the former is recommended, use of the latter is discouraged, because they really eliminate all hypo, and some remaining fixer is actually helpful for image stability.
    Ralph, thank you for the clarification. I'm also contemplating the use of Zonal Pro Rinse Aid to dilute Rapid Selenium toner (as advertised by Zonal Pro). Alan Ross does this, according to his process description for Special Edition Prints of AA's negatives that he posted at one time on the AA website. So far I'm still using the toner in HCA as described in AA's book "The Print."
    Last edited by silveror0; 03-23-2011 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer to keep HCA and toner separate and cannot recommend mixing them. A mixture creates little benefit but loses a lot of flexibility.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought I had read that the Ilford sequence for FB was 5,10 5 respectively for wash, HCA and wash to achieve archival prints. Is Ilford completely wrong on this by what appears to be a large factor?

If 10 secs for stop is OK for RC does this increase 3 fold for FB and is this based on the same phenomenon of penetration of dev into the fibres which takes the stopbath three times as long to stop?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10 s? I need 15 s to drain a print!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For RC papers, I used 30 seconds of stop bath, and 60 seconds for fiber papers.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I thought I had read that the Ilford sequence for FB was 5,10 5 respectively for wash, HCA and wash to achieve archival prints. Is Ilford completely wrong on this by what appears to be a large factor?

pentaxuser
    I have also wondered how Ilford can advise such a final short wash for archival processing when clearly it is not enough.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only a test will say for sure but I assume that Ilford tested their Washaid product and found that 5 minutes water, 10 minutes Washaid and 5 minutes water was equivalent to their normal recommendation of 60 minutes without Washaid. You can test it for yourself with a residual test.
    Last edited by hpulley; 03-26-2011 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistake
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an off brand (FotoFinesse)that is called Hypo Eliminator

It contains:

sodium sulfite
    ammonium sulfite

Is this safe for fb paper? Am I correct when I assume both these chemicals should keep very well if stored reasonably?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin