Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,875   Online: 960

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    My mug was grinning wider and wider as I was reading through the list--with the exception of a few advanced details, I could see myself as in a mirror. I only wish my results were more mirror-like...

By the way, is the current Nowaczynski exhibit at the ROM your work? Mr. Carnie, my hat goes off to you! Great stuff, I'm going back to have another look... And then another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bob. Following up on Suzanne's comment, I would love to spend a day in your darkroom watching your process.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spend some time assisting Bob while he prints, and your printing technique will become significantly more intuitive.

Further, it is amazing that someone like Bob who possesses such a truly horrific aesthetic, can produce such a beautiful one.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am still determined to be Bob's lab slave when I retire.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I am still determined to be Bob's lab slave when I retire.
    I am working on my retirement papers at this very moment. (it's amazing how many hoops they make you jump through... as if 30 years service wasn't enough)

Maybe Bob has need for some aging interns.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thankyou Bob for clearing that up for me,in the past I have used a softer contrast filter or flashing to burn in highlights for detail I will try your method and some blasting and make an explosive print.

Mike

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Brilliant.

However I'll go on using my foot switch, just love them. Agree though that working with colour, sometimes the foot switch can be lost in the dark

Mick.
    I have a piece of reflective tape on my foot switch. I love to have both hands free.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    My mug was grinning wider and wider as I was reading through the list--with the exception of a few advanced details, I could see myself as in a mirror. I only wish my results were more mirror-like...

By the way, is the current Nowaczynski exhibit at the ROM your work? Mr. Carnie, my hat goes off to you! Great stuff, I'm going back to have another look... And then another.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good list Bob. I have found that the individual threading within forums of specific techniques, good though they may be, to be lacking in overall comprehension for beginners. Like you, I have also made attempts at coalescing analog information – within articles on my own site, occasionally referenced in forum contributions. I would be thrilled to see a video of your practices to accompany the list, preferably before I feel compelled to make my own!

Although our circumstances and specifics differ (I love my footswitch ), I cannot agree more with your overall admonition that there is no such thing as a "perfect" print. Upon viewing an original Adams print many years ago, riddled with white specks left un-spotted, I was finally cured once and for all of the insanity of attempting to make a perfect print. I have never made a perfect print, but nothing less than the "p" word has ever been attributed to my work at any showing – viewers and grain sniffers alike. The classic analog process produces individual variation characteristic of an "artistic" endeavor. Perhaps, it is this fact alone which separates analog (uniquely, hand-made) from digital (machine-made) prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Book by Carnie

I'd buy a darkroom printing book by Bob Carnie.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin