Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,524   Online: 1002

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Bob, the one that rings home for me is that there is no perfect print. I used to and still do sometimes print myself around in circles, changing things and changing things. I believe you could always change something after each print, but then the next thing you know your paper stash is disappearing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Book by Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I'd buy a darkroom printing book by Bob Carnie.
    Agreed, as long as there was a portraiture book by Nicole on the same shelf.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Agreed, as long as there was a portraiture book by Nicole on the same shelf.
    I'm working on it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen Bob's prints, and they are truly magnificent.

Based on the list in the original post, I know that I could learn a lot from Bob; but i also know that from having conversations with him. It brings respect to print the size pictures he does consistently and beautifully!

Printing to me is all about exploring, and as we learn more our ways in the darkroom seem to become our own more and more. It's pretty amazing how many ways the same thing can be done, even if it is to varying degree of success.

Reading through the list, it is also funny to think about my own process, how I go about it, and it is striking how similar my method is. I don't use test strips, I use full sheets of paper. I usually end up making one too dark and one too bright, and then I cherry pick the best of both worlds, and that teaches me a lot about how I wish to dodge and burn, and at what contrast.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Bob! I really want to come and hang out with you in the darkroom some time.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Bob! I really want to come and hang out with you in the darkroom some time.

- Thomas
    Just don't fall for his famous "here smell this rag" trick!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Just don't fall for his famous "here smell this rag" trick!
    Appreciate the advice... Have you found any bodies in the storage room?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After a dismal evening in the darkroom tonight, I think I had better print this list and tack it to my wall right beside Ralph's f-stop printing table.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I'd buy a darkroom printing book by Bob Carnie.
    I'm waiting for the DVD or the TV series...

Robin Bell, move over ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob,

I took a couple months off from printing in my darkroom because I was just getting too frustrated. Things weren't coming out the way I saw them in my head. I found this thread the night before I finally went back in there and it helped immensely! Especially the grade 5 "blasting" and the outflanking really helped.

It's amazing the difference between a print that you're 95% happy with and one that you're 100% happy with. That's a BIG 5%!

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Chris

P.S. I'll never give up my foot switch!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

ged

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Bob,

I recently stumbled across this thread from back in March this year. It was a very interesting read and I really appreciated your post.

I have quite a number of questions that if you have the chance to answer sometime, I would be most grateful.

* "I use an outflanking method": Do you mean you go beyond the correct point (contrast, exposure, etc) and then pull back to get to the correct value?
    * "I am very concerned about the negative position above the lens": I wasn't sure what you meant by this?
    * "I study the negative before printing. I study the easel before printing": What are you looking for?
    * "I use ducks ass and ducks bill a lot": This was very interesting! Do you have any pointers to where I could read/see more?
    * "I look at a print no more than 1 minute and move to next exposure": I find with my printing I need to do the best "working" prints I can, go away and look at them a week or so later and then come back to the darkroom to do the final prints. Is this unusual?
    * "I do not like the 0 and 5 method only": How do you decide which filter to use for your "white" time? Is this where you mention lower down in the post that you "settle on a lower than normal tone for your tastes and as well lighter than normal". If I am reading this correctly, you try to get to 3/4 of desired tone with your main exposure on the selected filter and then blast with the 5 to get the remaining tone with desired contrast.
    * "I like to give a final edge burn to all my prints": Do you burn all edges? How much exposure do you give and with which filter?
    * "I like to tone the same day as I print": Do you have a "standard" toning routine?
    * "7. If there is a spot that is too bright then I will burn with 00 to bring in detail ( I always use the 5 filter as well to burn in highlights.. ask me why... soft light.(Les Mclean)": When do you burn with the 00 and when with the 5? I wasn't sure I understood the quote from Les?

Once again, thank you for your post.

Kind regards,

Ged

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin