Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,943   Online: 927

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I make images, and prints, I pay a lot more attention to sensitivity than sensitometry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    When I make images, and prints, I pay a lot more attention to sensitivity than sensitometry.
    What he said.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How clever of you. Too bad you didn't actually read anything I wrote.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 09-21-2013 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    How clever of you. Too bad you didn't actually read anything I wrote.
    If you're talking to me, no Michael, I actually agree with much of what you wrote. I myself use various forms of masking (both on film and with cutouts) to produce certain prints. I think the crux of the issue is that a beginning printer should not concern themselves with the numbers behind the tones in their print, they should just adjust one variable at a time to make a print look good. Somewhere in the middle a printer expands and refines his/her toolbox to incorporate a large number of advanced techniques, and I feel the rest of the time is spent sorting out which ones actually make a difference in your work.

I don't follow any hardline workflow, I just f**k around with it until it looks right. Doing that repeatedly has made it fairly easy for me to print most of my negatives without having to resort to using any sort of "advanced" printmaking methodology. But when I do have a negative that needs it, you bet that I'm happy to have those skills in my toolbox.

I print like I cook, not the other way around, that's all...

--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    ...Frankly I will keep suggesting to any beginner that they read publications by Kodak and Ilford...
    Any specific texts anyone cares to mention?

Regards,
    Rob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok so some people need curve shapes, some need complicate masks to make a print, others need just simple tools.

IMHO and only my opinion, printing should be fun and very simple, otherwise over a lifetime one will take on other avenues of entertainment , lets say golf, or play a musical instrument.

Micheal- I use sensitometry every day to control my process, probably more than any single person that I know that loves photography. I assume that also would be more than you , but hey you may be the next Ron Mowrey and I tip my hat to you.

But when I am under an enlarger, by the flick of my hands I can make a print, and for sure the densitometers are outside the room.

All my posts are directed to those wanting to learn a simple way of making prints... and yes since I use the magic bullet of Split Grade every single print its in my notes... You may think its voodoo and since this is my thread as the OP you can leave any time you like and don't slam the door.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, when I changed my printing method about a year and a half ago, a great deal of it came from reading just about anything you've written on APUG in respect to producing prints, and then tweaking it to fit my preferences.

I don't think you have to prove your methods to anybody...

--

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Michael

It seems over the last year you have been targeting me with your posts and each time you follow with a lame apology. This post seems to me quite odd where you are cross referencing my posts from thread to thread.

Whatever floats your boat dude... I will not see your response on this thread or any other for that matter as I have decided to put you on ignore as you simply have nothing concrete.. To Me.. anyways to add here on APUG.
    I will not follow your posts from this point on so that the impulse for me to do what I think you are doing to my posts will not be possible.

Bob
    QUOTE=Michael R 1974;1549884]John, if it was about beginner vs advanced I'd have no beef with it. But this stems from the other thread with the printing maps. Bob was adamant printing maps are nonsense. Post 52 in this thread appears to be a continuation of that line of thought.[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    hi Ned

You may surprise yourself.. the TEST does allow you to make contact sheets for reference... I did not mention in my post, So you do have the chance to make three contacts of each film so 45 in total.. one normal , one under and one over.

by staying on the same roll you can use your contacts for reference... if a image looks good beside the next one you pretty much have the balance nailed.

You can then observe the darker and lighter contacts to see where you are going to want to go, if you do the unders and overs in 1/2 stop setting then it becomes a bit more easier..

Once you start you will find the only thing you are doing is dodging and burning and looking at density and contrast..

the first day is the hardest for everyone I have asked to try this test.. the second day is much easier and as you can guess the third day is liberating.

regards

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Hi Bob,

First of all thanks for those stories: wonderful!

Second of all thanks for the advice. I could never make 300 prints in 3 days, but I might manage 300 in 100 days! That's okay. It will take me several months to go as far as your assistants do in 3 days. In the end, it's what I figured: practice ad learn, practice and learn... I get the point about diverse conditions too.

Cheers!
    Ned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm fortunate to be a member of a photography club that focuses on film and the darkroom. There are about a dozen active members, and their experience varies from extensive to near-beginner.

The members have a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, temperaments, experiences and approaches to darkroom work. I always like to joke that if more than two people in the club agree exactly on anything other than how good lunch is than a miracle has occurred.

I have a feeling that if Bob and Michael were to become members of the group, we would have the advantage of two additional very different perspectives about printing. We would also have lots of great prints to look at.

And hopefully, over those great lunches, they would enjoy making their case to each other about how best to help the newbies in the club.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin