Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,698   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

STEAM , STEAM , STEAM

So this is a question that is in regards to the merits of steaming prints.

We spot first then flatten , then steam, the thinking the steam allows the spotting dye to suck into the emulsion and become invisible.
    We also in colour work use **in past** kodak dyes and with heat and soft spot colour tone prints .. then we would steam the prints and the dyes would suck in and be invisible as well.

John Sexton - wrote articles on steaming prints and how the steam will make the glossy fibre print look more luxurious.
    Now I have never done this for one reason and one reason only, In Canada the humidity will drop to very low values and I feel the value of the steam will be lost when the humidity drops to very low values.

Ralph, Ian and others thoughts or observations, maybe John himself will chime in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've read John's tips on the subject but have never tried it myself.

Why would you expect the ambient humidity to affect the results though? My understanding of the procedure is you take a dry print and steam it to slightly increase the surface gloss and then it stays that way. I had not considered whether or not low ambient humidity levels might cause this effect to reverse itself. Interesting question. I guess the best thing would be to test it with a scrap print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I steam FB prints regularly. I use a hand held clothes steamer to do it. It does raise the moisture level in the print momentarily, but leaves the surface with a nice sheen. Care must be taken not to burn yourself, also to avoid condensation droplets from landing on the surface of the print, as it will soak in and leave spots, and the print will have to be resteamed after drying.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, the steaming softens and swells the gelatin surface allowing it to re-align. It's not going to reverse in a dry humidity and it would need extremely damp humid conditions to undo it.

It does help with retouching and can make spotting and knifing pretty much invisible. It works with FB & RC papers, B&W and colour.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post

In Canada the humidity will drop to very low values and I feel the value of the steam will be lost when the humidity drops to very low values.
    (Posted from the rainforest on the Wetcoast of Canada)

Bob:

Speak for yourself!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting. I had not read about this technique helping with the spotting dyes becoming absorbed into the gelatin.
    I shall subscribe to this thread and follow it with interest.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes Thomas, we spot before any heat is applied the spotone goes on easier and when pressed and steamed could become invisible.
    The heat of a press kind of toughens the emulsion and is harder to spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Very interesting. I had not read about this technique helping with the spotting dyes becoming absorbed into the gelatin.
    I shall subscribe to this thread and follow it with interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

It does help with retouching and can make spotting and knifing pretty much invisible. It works with FB & RC papers, B&W and colour.

Ian
    Knifing, too? I'll have to try that sometime...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Knifing, too? I'll have to try that sometime...
    A tip with knifing is to get a gummed envelope (not the self sealing type) and spot a bit of dissolved gum into the knifed area.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FWIW, I have recently done a couple of very non-scientific "tests" of steaming prints. Not for spotting purposes but as I have no access to a dry mount press was for the dreaded "fibre paper flat" routine.

For me, so far, it has been a general success - nothing fancy - just taking my dry "curly edge" prints and holding them in the steam froma kettle; the print folds open as the emulsion expands. When the print settles to flat I pop it between two boards with the other prints and when all are finished this then gets weighted. Flatest prints I have had. Only issues have been when prints are put face to face slightly too "hot/damp" and they stick together.

I haven't noticed a grand "glossifying" of the print surface but neither any detrimental effects, my terms of success were primarily for flatness. May not help the o.p. but maybe of use! My thoughts may change and other users experiences may differ but for now I am a fan of the steam.

Sim2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin