Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,216   Online: 843

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    My printing session this morning was spent re-printing a negative for third time,
    Only had to re-print it three times?? Must have been an easy day

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Brian, it sounds like you and Michael are still relatively inexperienced in the darkroom and finding it hard to relax. There's not really any way of learning to print other than putting in the hours - it's a craft skill as well as an intellectual exercise, there aren't really any shortcuts.

Having said that, why not write a checklist of actions and pin it up behind the enlarger, it may help keep your printing process in order. Writing it will also help you consolidate those skills in your head.

The next thing to consider is that complicated printing often reflects poor negatives. Beginners are often so blown over by what they can achieve in the darkroom, they put too much effort into printing inferior negatives when the effort really needs to go into the shooting and processing stage. Have a good hard look at your negs and consider what you could do to improve on them, it may make life in the darkroom less stressful.
    Jerry, I wouldn't call it in-experience. I've been printing for about 6 years now. I think I will always be learning. My negatives are up to quality standards. I've done all the tests years ago. I guess I would call it frustration maybe more than stress, though at times it is stressful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing can be demanding and tiring, but I enjoy it so much that I never find the printing itself to be stressful.

If I'm dealing with a deadline, that can add some stress.

I've spent enough time in the past printing other people's negatives to realize that all stress actually arises from within
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been printing THIS TIME for about a year and half. (did a bit when I was much younger) If I can put myself in the right "zone", printing session is very therapeutic and relaxing. For few hours in the darkroom, I don't care about anything else. Phone is turned off. When I have an important print or ones that I really want to get it right, I don't continue if I can't reach this state in first hour or so.

This is why I like analog work so much.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't make me nervous...but it sure pisses me off from time to time!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It doesn't make me nervous...but it sure pisses me off from time to time!!!
    Haha, totally agree!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have days when nothing goes right, but it's usually my best stress relief and has been for over 10 years. In fact, without it I'd go nuts. I never try to make a perfect print the first time I print a certain neg. I count on it taking at least another session once I've decided that neg is worth printing. Some of my negs are tougher to print than others, but I approach them as a challenge, not a cause of stress.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I find it takes a lot of work to make a good print. Not sure I'd call that stressful, but it's frustrating when issues pop up that cause you to waste time and materials. I've been making palladium prints all week and because I'm just starting out--I have a lot of "test prints" piling up. Stressful is when I see the price of palladium chloride rising every week, but I enjoy my time in the darkroom. Nevertheless, at the end of a typical darkroom session (3-4 hours), I feel pretty beat-up.
    I know what you mean. I am trying to do a print that needs some dodging (not easy to do with pt/pd printing) and another that needs some burning. Oh well.

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    to quote ben franklin - no gain no pain ..

don't let the darkroom stress you out ...
    it's supposed to be fun
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Like others, I find printing enjoyable. I am a naturally impatient person with a quick temper, and sometimes when I make a stupid mistake I feel the anger rising. If I am quick enough to recognize the futility of this emotion, laugh and call myself a dumb ass, take a deep breath and move on to make another print without the mistake, I find satisfaction in controlling my emotions. After all, as someone pointed out, a wasted sheet of paper is the usual worst outcome. Why worry over that?

Any nervousness that I have is at the negative exposure and development stages, since a mistake there can be unrecoverable. As Bob Carnie stated, consistency and routine is key for me. I set up my camera, organize the composition, and make all of the exposure calculations the same way, every time. Same thing with developing film and printing in the darkroom. I also use checklists as well. Orland and Bayles write about the importance of rituals to artists in their book, "Art and Fear." By developing and following my own rituals, I can be confident that I will have a printable image on the negative.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin