Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,076   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durst M800 help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the M800 manual if you don't have it already (French, sorry, the only PDF I know for this model): http://ebgy.free.fr/photo/docs/durst_M800.pdf
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-19-2011 at 02:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CLS 70 Head manual: http://ebgy.free.fr/photo/docs/durst_CLS70.pdf

So, yes you have a nice machine, its worthwhile to get it up and running right. That head should be great for multigrade printing.

Also, just to explain the way the head works; the filters come in from the side of the light beam and the mixing box is needed to spread the light out evenly. As you found out, without the mixing box (Sesibox), the filtration only affects one side of the image.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-19-2011 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the manuals, with google translate I´ll be able to make use of it without to much effort.

And that makes much sense, regarding the mixingboxes and the filters, I really thought that my CLS70 was faulty when I looked at the three filters, sitting all "wrong". I´m getting more relieved now when I know the machine more and why it wasn´t working at first.

One thing though, my M800 is missing the holder for the safety red-filter under the lens. I have seen many enlargers that doesn´t have these and people saying they never use it even though they have it. Does this mean they focus directly on the baseplate or masking plate, does this work well? I would actually like to work that way because its been more than once that I have started my enlarger thinking the red-filter is under the lens when in fact it was not, ruining paper doing so. But if you focus say on the baseplate and then put a paper there, will the thickness of the paper influence on the focus accuracy or is it to small to be off importance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The red filter is for the instance where you need to adjust the position of the unexposed paper on the baseboard with the enlarger light on. For example if you were using weights to hold the edges of the paper down. Usually, if you use an easel, it will always hold the paper in the same location, so no need for the red filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When considering focus, the thickness of the paper is too small to be of importance. If you wish to be particularly finicky about it, you can always focus on the back of a print which is intended for discard.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ic-racer: Yes that is how I use the red filter on my Durst B30. But I have seen several enlargers, especially bigger, pro-enlargers that does not have it. I´ve done some searches on the forum and found that it seems to be several people that don´t use the red filter. Some seem to claim that here is a risk that the light path is different when it is passed though a red filter and therefore when focusing using the filter the focus can be a bit off when you remove it. I don´t claim to know anything on the matter since I haven´t done any serious testing.

MattKing: Good to know, and focusing on a piece of scrap paper would also be a good idea if one is very picky. But focusing on the easel with white light, turn off the enlarger, put the paper there and then exposing seems like a good way to work, at least I think so. I dislike focusing in the red light, to dark.

I´ll give it a try later this week. This being the first year I really have started doing darkroom work a bit more seriously (still amateur though). I have developed film for several years and scanned them on quite good scanners and printed on nice printers but when I bought an old Durst B30 and made my first prints in the darkroom I was sold. That was one of the bigger turningpoints in my photographic "career". This is my way to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a little update to the thread: With the help from fellow member ndrs I have got the M800 up and running with a condenser setup. I use the Unicon 85 together with an EL-Nikkor 50mm F2.8 and get great results from it. I totally appreciate it´s sturdy build and great controls. Just the other day I also got my colorhead setup working, a CLS 70 and a Sesibox 35 and it´s running as a diffusion enlarger. But since I also recently bought a Focomat V35 I don´t use the diffusion setup on the M800. It runs as a pure condenser enlarger. Later down the road I intend to start using bigger formats as well and that is the main reason for buying the M800 in the first place. Bigger Sesiboxes, Setiboxes suited for bigger formats and I will have everything I "need". The M800 is amazing in that aspect, a full "system-enlarger" that can me modified to do pretty much everything.
    Last edited by thaung; 05-11-2011 at 02:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to read it is up and running!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin