Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,766   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst M800 help

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst M800 help

I really hope you guys have can help me to understand some things regarding the Durst M800. I recently bought one with a CLS 70 color head, Unicon 85 condenser and a set of three lenses ranging from 75mm to 105mm. I also own a couple of 50mm lenses that I use on other enlargers and intend to use on this as well of course. I have used enlargers made purely for 35mm before so I have very limited knowledge on enlargers for multiple formats.

My question is first, with this head and condenser, is it possible to enlarge 35mm negatives? I think it looks like the negative is not lit evenly, the corners being noticably darker and have a sort of brown/red tint in one corner. Moving the Setibox around can help but it seems impossible to get the whole negative lit evenly.

Second question obvioulsy related to the first one, in the CLS 70, where the light is directed downwards on the 45 degree plate, itīs just a styrofoam (right word?) surface. Is that correct? I thought is was suppose to be some sort of very fine diffusion plate.

To clear some things up, the lens baseplate is 39mm as usual but it can be placed facing either way, making the lens come further or closer to the bellows. When using 50mm lenses itīs only possible to get sharp focus having the lens in the "close" position.

And also, when using 80mm or 105mm lenses ("further away" position on baseplate) it seems to be easier to get even illumination...

The negativeholder is called Durst Setoneg and as moving masking plates to get the correct masking for the film currently in use if that info helps....

As you problably have noticed I am quite confused with this enlarger and would greatly appreciate any advice you have, small or big. Do I need a different condenser, baseplate, head or what am I doing wrong?

Regards
    Rasmus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be better if you posted pictures of your unit. Usually color mixing boxes are lined with styrofoam like this one. Which Setiobox do you have?

Last edited by ic-racer; 04-18-2011 at 05:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you doing with the Condenser? That condenser is for an 80mm lens, but unless that enlarger is some weirdo thing, you would use either the condensers or the mixing box (Setibox).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are the things I have, the CLS 70 and the Unibox 80. I really donīt know how to use these things and how they work together. Or for that mather if they do at all as you pointed out.

I managed to figure out that the weird color-cast that present in one or perhaps two corners must come from the colorhead and itīs filters. Because when I took off the filter-mixer-thing from the CLS70 the color-cast dissapeared,

So I would need a "Setibox for the type of negative I use, correct?

What does the Uniboxes do in that case?

Thanks so far for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1828.JPG   DSCN1827.jpg   DSCN1826.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't use your CLS head with a condenser. You need to get a Setobox. You can use a bigger format Setobox for smaller format negative but you'll lose some brightness. Setobox 66 would work fine for 35 mm. As an alternative you could also get what's missing from condenser setup -- in your case lamp socket, 45° mirror and lamp housing cover, but getting a Setobox is probably much easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, thank you very much for clearing that up. Now I know a bit more about what I have bought.

There is a lamp-socket in there so I probably would just need the housing over it and of course the mirror. But Iīll start looking for that Setobox 66 first of all to get started. But, would it be possible to use the current setup (CLS 70 and Unibox 85) to enlarge 6*6 or 6*4.5 negatives? What differentiate a Unibox from a Setibox?

I should say that I got it dirt cheap (around 50USD) including three good lenses so I didnīt stop to ask to many questions regarding parts. I am in no rush getting the parts so Iīll just have to be patient and look regularly on Ebay and other places.

Thanks so far everyone who has helped out, itīs been invaluable.
    Last edited by thaung; 04-19-2011 at 06:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your Unicon 85 is a condensor, a lens system used to direct the light. Setobox is a mixing box, basically just a empty box with some grounded glass and silvery walls to diffuse the light. I don't think you can use your Unicon with your CLS 70 regardless of the negative format. You have to have the right combination.

There were three Unicons available, 50, 85 and 105, respectively for 35 mm, 6x6(7) and 6x9. Setoboxes were made for 6x6 and 6x9, I don't know if there was one for 35 mm. If you only can get one, and you do not plan to do 6x9, get Setobox 66. It will be fine from 35 mm to 6x6(7). I've seen them on eBay from time to time.

PM me if you can't find a Setobox or decide to go for a condenser system, I have a Durst mirror here I can live without. Lamp cover is something you could easily make yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, now I am starting to really get what this machine is about and how to combine different parts. I didnīt know that the M800 could be "rebuilt" in so many different ways, maybe this will turn out to be one of the best long term investments in my darkroom.

Since I purely shoot B/W I am in no direct need of the CLS70 and perhaps should use my M800 as a condenser system to start with. Iīll have to give that some thought but Iīm a bit eager to get the enlarger up and running to do some real testing. Of course, getting a Setobox 66 would be the ideal thing since that would mean I could keep my CLS70 with its inbuilt filtersystem and use it freely with negs ranging from 35mm to 6*7. But getting the "regular" lightsource going together with a mirror would make it work fine for now.

The M800 by the way, when I went to buy it I thought (since owning an ancient Meopta 6*6 enlarger) it wouldnīt be very much bigger than the Durst B30 I use at the moment. Boy was I wrong, I was in shock when I first saw it, this is a beast and built like nothing Iīve ever encountered before. Truly something extra.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, and that would be me bidding on it as well. I saw it earlier today when I notoriously was scouting the Bay for accessories. But thank you for posting the link.

I also have gotten help from another member on Apug (ndrs, thank you!) for some parts I was missing to get my enlarger up and running with the Unibox 85. I didnīt have the standard mirror so to sum up my M800 purchase it wasnīt in "usable" condition but with your help it seems that I soon will have it up and running.

I canīt enough thank both of you that has helped me understand the M800, yesterday when I posted I didnīt have a clue. But now I have a quite good idea of the machine and what items I have, and most importantly, what I donīt have and might need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin