Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,596   Online: 867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst M605 Color Enlarger Problem

Hello!

since I'm a brand new member:
    I am into analogue photography and stuff for about 2 years now and recently started printing my own pictures on this enlarger. I never had problems, it is lot of fun! I switched from digital and never looked back since... the only problem I have with this hobby is all the money I'm spending on new gear!

I love Photography so much that I'm spending most of my free time on it and now I am trying to apply with my pictures at University (You have to show them a portfolio too proof that you are good enough for their standards). I bought a bunch of Paper (the new Adox MCP and Ilford Warmtone baryt). My results are getting better.

__________________________________________________ __________________

The enlarger is a great machine, works well, but I can't enlarge 35mm Negs much bigger than 18x13cm... I need 24x30 sized prints for the application... I could make digital prints out of scanned negative files but I'd rather have full control of how my pictures really look.

So. I have the M605 with Color Head, 50mm lens, a lensboard that is recessed and a thing right above the negative holder. I don't know what it is called (condenser?) but I can switch between "Box 35" and "Box 66" there. I always used the Box 35 setting for 35mm enlarging. The enlargment arm (hope you know what I mean) seems to have enaugh travel for bigger prints, but I simply can't turn the images sharp until I try to make bigger prints.

I don't have these problems with 6x6 negatives.

Thanks for your help!!

I attached some pictures, I hope it helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails durst.jpg   Durst1.jpg   durst2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably need another lensboard that is even more recessed. Others here who use Durst enlargers are more likely to be able to tell you which one.

What part of the world do you live in? The answer may help us advise where to look for it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You need 50 mm lens if you want print from 35 mm neg& I think you have only 75 -80 mm lens accordingly you don't have any problems when you print from 6 x 6 neg. Change lens and you don't have any problems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Matt said, if the focus bellows are fully compressed and you are still only managing 18x13 then you need the 'top hat' type lens board that is about as deep as the 50mm lens itself. Alternatively, if you already have a longer lens, such as a 75 or 60/63 mm, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a larger print with that on 35mm with the head near the top of the column. This may be a stop gap solution if you have trouble getting the right lens board. For information, as this would be a more expensive and, perhaps, harder to come by solution, there are wide angle enlarging lenses such as a Rodenstock 40mm WA that would provide greater enlargement size than a 50mm on a flat board.
    Regards, Mark Walker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, Thanks for the fast and helpful advice! I live in Germany, and the lens I own is definitely a 50mm. The bellows are fully compressed but the picture does not get sharp.

What do you think is the best (quickest and practical) solution?

I just looked up ebay and saw this rodenstock 40mm lens: here it costs 150€ I don't relly know if that is the lens you where talking about chmineyfinder.. is it good? (worth 150€?).

I will check the durst enlarger of my friend.. maybe she has a longer focal length on her enlarger.. she doesn't need it right now..

I didn't find any durst lens boars on german ebay though ...

as it seems the safest way to get larger (as large as at least 24x30 ) prints would be a wide angle lens

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need a recessed lensboard. A 40mm lens will make your situation worse, as it needs even less space between the lens stage and the negative than a 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey!

thanks!
    so I guess I'd need a Siriotub lens board, right?

would this one work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's exactly what you need. You can't use a 50mm lens without one, my two Durst came with a recessed board as standard.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks! I'll buy that one then =)

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You might want to keep a look out for a Setopla 2839 (assuming you have a m39 thread lens). I used to have a M605 and it came with the plastic siriotub. I could not get my 50mm Fujinon to focus using the siriotub lens board (which according to the m605 owners manual is the correct lens board for 50mm lenses). Based on the recommendation of another Durst user I hunted down the Setopla 2839. The Fujinon focused perfectly w/ the Setopla lens board. I never measured them but I can only assume that the Setopla is a tad bit deeper than the Siriotub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin