Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,827   Online: 799

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere between fifteen minutes and 50 years.

I often find I have beginners' luck with printing, where first good print I make from a negative is the best print I ever make.

Other images seem to improve each time I print them.

I do notice that the more I fuss with making a dozen prints of a negative, each print differing a 1/10th of a stop here and there, the more worthless the image.

If it is a good image it just falls into place on the first or second print. Metering gets around the first 'work prints', so I suppose it would be "falls into place by the 3rd or 4th print" if I were working conventionally.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weeks to months, deliberately.

I want the initial charm of the subject matter to fade so I can look at the final photographs with a "cold" eye. This is how other people, who weren't there for the camera-work, will see them.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the same day, other times 30 years later...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm impatient. Usually, I process my film the same day or the next. (usually the same day). Contact sheets are made within a week but usually in next few days. First test print either the same day of contact sheet or in next week or so.

But... once I get make full size test prints, I wait until the next day to make changes. Otherwise, I find myself wasting lots of sheets only to find out I don't like the result next day or go back to the very first version.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haaaaa, Nicholas, I know what you mean.

You probably have a negative like mine (Tokopah falls in ice) that captured what you saw but is defiant on paper.

I have never successfully printed that negative. It is the exasperation of printing that one negative that has led me down the road of Zone system and all other controls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes a very, very, very, very, very long time. Or, more often, never.

I do it very quickly (sometimes same day) if I have a specific task. At this time, that usually involves shooting Rollei copy film in D-19 and making halftone lithos from it to burn on to silk screens or cyanotypes. It is not a very exacting process making black-or-clear lithos from black-or-clear film, so it is easy to move quickly and be OK with some slop.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I very rarely manage to develop my film within even a week of shooting it. I frequently have film sitting in a camera with several shots remaining, too, and sometimes don't remember what I shot at the start of the roll. I don't look at them often once I have them developed and contact printed, but I'll scan through the contact sheet and see what jumps out. I've usually lost the feeling of that day by then and can just look at which ones look to be good for themselves and not just good because I remember what it took to get them. Once I do a work print, then I wait awhile to see if/how I still like the image before I try to do a "real" print. Which frequently never happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only have limited experince, but most of the time i print the same day. Maybe 10-15 photos. If I run out things to do I may come back to the ones I skipped over previously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't do my own darkroom work I use a pro lab but I usually send them off within a a couple of shooting them and have them back about ten days later
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually print my own negatives within a few weeks. But I am now printing some negatives that my father shot in 1938 and told me he never printed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin