Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,565   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't print a negative for at least 6 months after taking,that way I come to the negative with fresh eyes and feelings, If I print too soon after I take the negative I very often struggle with it, leave it a while and come back to it and I produce a better print, I have negatives taken years ago still waiting to be printed, and sometimes I wonder if I will ever print them,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sometimes years, sometimes days
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Days, months, years...

I move around a lot so my access to a darkroom comes and goes. I started shooting black and white 6 years ago and I still have negs that I have never had the chance to print, other than contact sheets, often because I'm excited about the newer ones I've more recently shot.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The thought of having some negs that may never get printed is something I relate to greatly. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes having so many negs that deserve to be printed that I've produced over the years. But when a fine print is finally accomplished it is an amazing feeling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I see a negative that stands out after processing I usually make an 8x10 the next day. The 8x10's get pinned up on a bulletin board so I can see them readily and if the impact lasts then a refined print is made. This may take a few days or many weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait, I'm supposed to print these things, wow what an idea.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Wait, I'm supposed to print these things, wow what an idea.
    LOL!

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on the negative... if I really like a picture and I'm in the mood for darkroom work, it gets printed as soon as the film is dry. Sometimes I go out shooting in the morning, develop in the afternoon and print at night - now tell me one more time, that film photography is slow

On the other hand, there are a lot of negatives that aren't printed for months. They're not necessarily less important pictures, but less urgent. Some pictures also need a little time before I actually like them enough to print.

From time to time, I also like to browse through all my negatives and see if any are worth printing again... some pictures are so fascinating to me, that I can print them again and again months or years after taking the picture. As I do a lot of dodging, burning and contrast adjustements, the prints also turn out differently in different printing sessions. For example, I used to like a very high-contrast (always grad 4-5) look on glossy paper, but now I prefer more balanced prints on warm-tone FB paper and very intense dodging and burning (to the point were it becomes almost "painting with light") I also used to print 15-20 different negatives on postcard formats in one night, but now it's more like 3-4 big prints.
    It's interesting to see the different results that can be obtained from the "same" picture just by changing the printing process... the print can't really be perfect right away. Some prints need years to become just right in my eyes and that's why I never put any negatives in the "printed and ready for final archival" folder.

If I ever become famous, art collectors will hate me, because there are dozens, sometimes hundreds of prints from the same negative, some with variations so slight, nobody but myself would even notice....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If its for work I have to present final prints usually by the next day. espresso helps a lot. if its for my own, I usually scan then decide which are worth printing out on the weekend.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It varies. Sometimes I like to print soon after taking the photo, when the image is fresh in my mind, sometimes it helps to let some time pass by to get a more objective view on the image, and sometimes I print negatives that I made/developed years before...
    And sometimes I print a negative again, years after making the first print, having a bit more experience and knowledge now (hopefully ).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I do notice that the more I fuss with making a dozen prints of a negative, each print differing a 1/10th of a stop here and there, the more worthless the image.
    Sounds familiar to me Yesterday, I spent the afternoon/evening printing one negative, over and over again, but none of these prints turned out the way I wanted. The image lost some of its "magic" due to this

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin