Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,531   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In lieu of a vaccum easel, I use a few long strips of double-sided masking tape on my 4-bladed easel whenever I print fiber. I "prime" it with lint to reduce the tackiness. Before printing, I place the paper as normal on the easel, then I press the print onto the tape with a cotton cloth. Then I blow off the print with compressed air that I have piped throughout the basement/garage area where my darkroom is. You must take care when "peeling" the print off, so you don't kink the paper, and it may take a few prints until the tape gets to the right balance between too sticky and not sticky enough. But I have found that doing this has eliminated any problems I was having with uneven sharpness corner to corner, especially when using older paper.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have previously posted on this and still swear by this method for RC paper. I don't use FB so am not sure it would hold curly heavy weight paper. Incidentally the great advantage is the very narrow half inch selvage. When you get up to 20 x 16, easels with wide borders are fouling the enlarger column. See http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/74927-borderless-easels-2.html[/URL] and here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/6...nlarger-3.html
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    I too found the price of 16 x 20 easels beyond my reach.
    I managed to snag a brand new 16 x 20 borderless easel for $35.
    $35 was approximately what I paid for a perfect 20x24 2-bladed RRB/Beard. Just keep looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $35 was approximately what I paid for a perfect 20x24 2-bladed RRB/Beard. Just keep looking.
    I have been looking for 2 years and I am still looking; maybe I will get lucky like you did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The person I bought my Omega D6 enlarger from threw in a two bladed, 20x24 easel for free
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can buy an inexpensive Saunders 16x20 easel. The border is thin which will be a disadvantage with curly paper.

One option is a sheet of metal, or perhaps a magnetic greaseboard lying flat. Then use metal strips that are heavy enough to hold the paper flat for the borders. The problem with that is trying to make a run of prints with identical boarders.

Another alternative would be to make a jig out of mat board, basically a window mount with a full sized sheet on the bottom and a masking window on top for the borders. You would need to use metal strips or magnets to hold the window flat on top of the curly papers. I would try this way first.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin