Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,872   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Using easels for large prints >11x14

I have an 11x14 easel, but I want to try making some bigger prints. 16x20 and larger easels get expensive fast, and are rarer on the used market. Do you prefer using a proper easel for large prints, or do you have some other method of holding the paper flat? The roll paper I will be using is very curly so I'm wondering if an easel will be better or will actually hurt compared to something more homebrew, like foamcore and gaffer's tape.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use a flat piece of metal and some magnetic strips to hold fiber paper flat. It is a PITA, but it works.

For RC (i.e. color in my case, as I don't print large b/w that often), I just use the baseboard, with stacks of masking tape to make two edges.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When in graduate school I got a single-sized 16x20 easel. It was about 1/4 the price of a 4 blade easel. Another option is a large 2 blade easel, those tend to be pretty inexpensive on the used market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've cut mount card to make easels for larger sized prints, I used a black marker pen to blacken the cut edges and remarkably the first is still OK 17 yeras on. I've some strips of metal that hold it flat in use.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    The thing that concerns me is that I'm using cut-down 40" RC roll paper which is very curly. I suppose a vacuum easel would be the best possible thing.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you weren't so far away I'd tell you to come over and pick up my 18x24 vacuum easel. You can have it if you want to pay shipping for the monster, comes with vac, hose, and foot switch.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could build a vacuum easel for about 20 bucks. I just finished one up with junk laying around the shop. Works fantastic. I covered mine with formica, cause thats what was laying around the shop, but you wouldn't have to. I could get up off my lazy butt and get a picture if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The magnetic strips and metal plate works really well, because it's flat. Most easels aren't flat.

You may find you like it so much that you continue to use it for all your work. Just mark it up according to the size you want to print, focus on the metal plate (painted, of course), slap the paper on, and add the magnetic strips where the 'borders' are.

It's a fairly inexpensive solution.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    vacuum easel is probably the best bet if you are cutting from rolls.
    I think that with patience you can find them on the used market or if you are
    ambitious making them yourself is not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The thing that concerns me is that I'm using cut-down 40" RC roll paper which is very curly. I suppose a vacuum easel would be the best possible thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too found the price of 16 x 20 easels beyond my reach.

I managed to snag a brand new 16 x 20 borderless easel for $35.
    Then I made a wood frame 1 1/2 inch wide to fit inside of it.
    Now I can print my 16 x 20 prints with perfect fixed borders.
    I may make frames of other sizes for different border widths.

It worked out way cheaper than a 4 blade easel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin