Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,115   Online: 770

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Nicholas said, it depends on the print tone that you want to keep constant. Filter kits are typically calibrated to give the same exposure for the ISO speed point; a tonality too dark for calibration across paper grades in my opinion (see 1st attachment). You have to pick a tone, because the characteristic curves between grades differ (otherwise it would make no sense to switch grades). I advocate to expose prints for the highlights, so I pick a lighter tone (Zone VII or VIII). As others said, yes, it's best to test for your conditions.

However, you don't have to make a test strip every time. You can conduct one test and make yourself a table (see 2nd attachment), which is good for one particular paper/developer combination. Once you have the table at hand, you can convert a proper highlight exposure of one grade into another for another grade with ease.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PaperSpeedPoint.jpg   PaperExpTable.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Really appreciate the information.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is part of the reason that I used to use split-grade printing with only 00 and 5 filters. I've kind of stopped doing that because #2 just works for most of my negatives, but any time I need to make a contrast adjustment, I always wish I had started with the 00 and 5 split grade technique, because it's easier to vary the proportions of exposure without changing the actual filters you are using. By the way, is there any H&D curve difference between using 00 and 5 filters versus using the equivalent single exposure with an intermediate filter?
    f/22 and be there.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    ... By the way, is there any H&D curve difference between using 00 and 5 filters versus using the equivalent single exposure with an intermediate filter?
    By using the two filter extremes for split-grade printing, you can produce the same characteristics curve as any intermediate filter. There is absolutely no tonal advantage to split-grade printing if you simply add the two exposures. You will, however, get a benefit if you dodge and burn differently with both filters.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin