Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,553   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Grade change time

Hi.

I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb for time to step between grades. Roughly how much time do I need to go between grade 2 and 3 for example when printing? I am guessing 1/3 of established time, but not sure.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With the Ilford paper+filters, the exposure times are meant to be approximately the same (for a constant midtone I think) for all grades except #5. Or if you're talking about split-grade printing, you would typically use #1 and #4, the ratio thereof depending on what actual contrast you wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you talking about graded paper or VC paper?

With VC paper there is usually a big increase in exposure time when jumping up to grade 4. I am not sure if it can be boiled down into a more specific rule of thumb than that, but maybe. It will be different for each individual paper. In the little paper that comes in the box, there should be some info about this.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-28-2011 at 12:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on what tone you want to remain constant. Look at the family of HD curves for MGIV RC.

If you want to hold a ~0.6 od tone (a wee bit lighter than 18% gray / ZV) then there is no change required. If you want to hold a ZII 1.6 OD tone then you need to increase exposure by around 0.6 stops.

Darkroom Automation supplies HD graphs and speed charts for common Ilford papers. See the support files page http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/index.htm
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb for time to step between grades.
    Yes. Make a new test strip. Because ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    It depends ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arista.edu FB VC Paper. It really does look like there is no way around a test strip, is there? So far it looks like 1/3 of time to go to 3 from 2. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes. Make a new test strip. Because ...

What he said!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree use a test strip!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought some equipment which solves the problem once and for all : A 'StopClock Professional' and a 'ZoneMaster II', both from RH Designs. here's the link :
    http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/index.html
    True, it comes at a price but the time and the photographic paper saved by using it is convince me it is worthwile
    peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    As a rule of thumb with ilford filters it is the same time for filters 00 to 3 1/2 and double the time for filters 4 to 5, It always worked for me in my pre analyser/pro days,
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin