Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,352   Online: 1054

Shooter
    Multi Format

Under/over the lens MG filter testing

I had an unfortunate incident that damaged under-the-lens multi-grade filter. That is, I accidentally hit the top of film cleaner spray and spritzed some of the stuff on filter. That resulted in partial damage to the surface.

Now I have a replacement.

THAT allows me to do some testing on the effects of under-the-lens MG contrast filters!

I always wondered how much, if any, degradation there is to have under-the-lens filters. I hear there is none. Then next question is, how much damage is too much. These filters are so easy to damage and hard to clean.... There has to be a limit where impact is negligible and tolerable.

My idea is this.... Have some kind of reference negative and print set the enlarger head high to simulate high magnification printing. I'll use 5x7 paper to cut down on a cost. (will be printing just a part of the image)

Then...

1) print with no filter - reference #1
    2) print with over the film filter (undamaged) - reference #2
    3) print with under the lens filter (undamaged) - reference #3

4) print with under the lens filter (already damaged by spray)
    5) print with under the lens filter (scratch some with sand paper)
    6) print with under the lens filter (severely scratch with sand paper)

Would this test procedure sound reasonable? What kind of subject will make good test negative? I'm thinking something high contrast with sharp lines.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But keep in mind when people say there is no image degradation by using a filter under the lens, there is an implicit assumption the filter is optically flat and free of blemishes, dirt, scratches etc. If not, all bets are off, even though the filter plane itself is out of focus.

Regarding a test negative, I think an interesting test would also be a uniform textureless area. In addition to the obvious issues associated with scratches, damage etc, it would also tell you if things like smudges of finger oil (from careless handling) might effect how evenly light is transmitted, potentially showing up as uneven density.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well... I don't know about that. Even a brand new filters aren't blemishness. I see some light scratches and pitting new out of box. All of mine are clean but not perfect either. So my interest really is, how bad does it have to be before it shows up in prints. My hope is that it will have to be "pretty bad" before it has some impact.

I'll probably do 8x10 prints as on smaller ones, anything will look good and prints are best evaluated as whole.

Anyway, I'll do this shortly and post back the result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    True, there are always small imperfections. I look forward to seeing the test results. These experiments are always interesting to me.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice opportunity for a useful test there. Interested in hearing your results.

As an additional thought, what about if the filter is not exactly parallel to the neg, does that have a visible effect? Not expecting this to be tested but merely float the idea ion your direction

All the best for the testing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've wondered about that as well, or if people use gels and there is some bowing or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll print one with clean filter tilted 45 degrees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'll print one with clean filter tilted 45 degrees.
    Is there anything beside your enlarger that flare might reflect off of? If there is, this "45 degree" test might interact with that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point. Yes. I will place a black board to prevent that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin