Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,150   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

how i do this frames in the darkroom

hy there, i have a question, im working so long on this and just dont find the right way to get the right result.

I just would like to ask you guys, how i do this frames in the darkroom. like on this picture?

http://blog.jokerbrand.net/files/200...an-Oriol-1.jpg

i just have no idea how i have to do it.. would be awesome if you can tell me.

thank you alot.

Linopacino

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the printer filed the negative carrierer frame down to show the film rebate, only do it if A you want every print to look like that or B you can get hold of a spare negative carrier for your enlarger,
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    i have a few negative carriers and a i grind it a little bit on the edges and corners, but didnt got that result.

is there another solution to get this frames?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The black edge isn't too tough.

Roughly;

You will need paper and easel larger than the whole thing you want. Maybe 11x14 for 8x10.

Make a mask from cardboard to give you the outside edge roughness. Make the mask's outer edges so that the easel's frame will center it.

Make another mask to cover the area where the main print will fall.

Make a print of the edge of 35mm film on single weight paper.

Set up the enlarger and negative for the print.

Put in your paper, lay on the masks and center them.

Lay the edge print in place.

Turn on the lights in the darkroom for a moment.

Pull the mask off of main print area.

Expose with the enlarger.

Develop.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shouldn't the holes in the rebate print black, and the rebate strip being free of any image should print black as well. Also to get the black border around the photo you would need to first expose the photo, then cover it with a mask and then expose the border. This photo looks like it was done in photoshop, not with an optical printer.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Shouldn't the holes in the rebate print black, and the rebate strip being free of any image should print black as well. Also to get the black border around the photo you would need to first expose the photo, then cover it with a mask and then expose the border. This photo looks like it was done in photoshop, not with an optical printer.
    I agree that the example was done in PS.

You are right that the rebate will print black, that's why I suggested printing a single weight paper print of the edge, basically making a paper neg.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    im really sure that this thing isnt done in photoshop. because i know at this time the photographer only worket with analog film. but i think you guys have much more experience in this.

what is the best way to cut or rip the cardboard for the edge-frame?

okey i hope i got it.. just to repeat the whole process..

1. make a mask for the negativ so that i have a little bit of a black frame there.

2. expose the negativ on the photopaper

3. make another mask for the "outter" frame and put in in the place where the negativ was before.

4. expose that "outter-frame-mask" on the photopaper

5. Develop.

thit i understand it right?
    sorry my english isnt so good..

but thank you guys so much! i will try this, this week!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    filed out negative carrier will create that effect. Also, making a matt negative with rough edges will do something similar. My students do it all the time.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you for your answere.

what really would help is a photo of the construction.
    but i think thats too much of help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is something that you will just need to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin