Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,148   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Printer in New York area

I'm looking for a printer in the New York area who can print a few (2-4) 120 b&w negatives in sizes around 12"x16". I'm going there in a week and would like to have a few portraits printed by an experienced (class A) printer. It must be fiber/baryta base, but the paper doesn't really matter, as long as it's made to a high standard.

Can anyone recommend a commercial lab or a printer working on his/her own in Manhattan or the Brooklyn area?

Thanks,

Marius

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know Bob Carnie, here on APUG works/owns in a partnership, Elevator Digital here in Toronto.

I would not hesitate in calling him a Class A printer.

I know he works printing for photographers from all over the world, with film coming in and prints going out.

He prints on traditional fibre paper, either optically or digitally and can process to the highest standards.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can recommend Bergen County Camera (they're right across the GW Bridge from NY - in Englewood, NJ and also in Westwood, NJ). Excellent, friendly service. (Tell them Kris from Florida sent you.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I have heard of Bob Carnie via his posts here, and it is clear that he is a top-class printer. I have looked on their website, and it looks like great work all over the line. I even checked how long it was from NYC to Toronto by car..

I would like to talk to someone and discuss a little bit on options and so, and would like to go into a shop and talk face to face, that is why I'm asking for someone in the NYC-area, since I'm going there now. But having an option of mailing a negative and getting a print back is great. Maybe I'll print my first exhibition myself, and if I sell, I'll have the next one made overseas!

Thanks for the info on Bergen County Camera, I got their price list and it looks promising. Have you had anything printed there semeuse?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by masimix View Post
    Thanks for the info on Bergen County Camera, I got their price list and it looks promising. Have you had anything printed there semeuse?
    When I lived in NY (I moved a couple of years ago), I used them quite often - wonderful work. I still deal with them occasionally for equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MV Photo Lab - looks great. I see their client list and it's amazing. The prices too!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Some of my clients get there work done at this lab.
    I am printing a show right now where they custom processed film to the specs I wanted and did a great job.
    Go to ICP and find out from local photographers who are printing in the style you like and go meet them and they will lead you to a printer.
    It is best to find a local printer rather than long distance print, if you are
    ever in Toronto for an extended period I could work with you, usually I prefer
    to meet the photographer , look at their work and try to come to a working relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob, thanks for the info on ICP. I see it is closed most of the time I am there, but luckily, there is en exhibition with Elliot Erwitt opening before I leave!

What you say on meeting the photographer, that is very understandable. My goal is to get where I can have a printer sharing my vision and making pictures from my photographs/meetings with people, which they are, ultimately. First I want to see a few of my photos made by someone else, to broaden my view, if that makes sense? What better to have someone really good do it, then I can hopefully learn, and see where I can become better, especially with light. I work with natural light, or in the studio, with a lamp or two.
    And, I would like to go to Toronto one day, if I do, I'll stop by!

Thanks billbretz, for the tip on Kelton Labs, they seem very fine too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin