Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,998   Posts: 1,524,309   Online: 862

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cold Light with v/c paper conundrum

This is in regards to the (older non-variable) Zone VI studios cold light head for the Beseler 4x5 enlarger. This is the single tube type, not the more modern dual tube design.

From what I've read, this single tube type appears best suited for printing with graded papers, and that if I want to print on v-c papers, then there is a special filter for compensating the bluish coloured light. I've searched Calumet and Aristo's sites but haven't come across any information pertaining to this.

I would appreciate hearing from members who are actually using the older type tube, and what their solution has been for printing with v-c paper.

Thanks.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Large Format
    The greatest preponderance of information seems to indicate the addition of 40 unit yellow filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an ancient Beseler 57MB with an older style cold light head and you are correct that is is more appropriate for graded papers. Use a #40CCY filter to even things out. I would suggest to do some testing with the different VC filters to get to know how they react and the results they produce. Also, expect longer exposure times than you may be used to.
    I have been using this combination for several years and have produced quality prints. Just do your testing to get to know the materials.
    Good luck and happy printing.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yes you can VC with the cold light.

I have a Zone VI cold light I purchased recently and built an adapter for my 23c,m it allows me to use VC filters. I made a beautiful draw that uses the same filter holder too. I have no idea what lamp I have but I ubderstand there are 2 types with different color temps. VC filters act differently with each.

I ran some tests on my cold light using Kodak Polymax paper. Without a filter it prints as grade 4. When using Kodak Polymax VC filters I can get grades 0 to 3½, the filters after just don't have any effect at all. It seems the lower values add the needed yellow portion to give VC control. I've learned to do split filtering adn I can tell you I am getting awsome results and an unbelievable amount of control now. I love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi there paddy -

most likely you have what was called the w45 cold cathode ( neon ) tube. you might want to call / email aristo to see if they will replace the lamp to a v54 which is more suited to vc papers. from what i remember the zone vi cold light head was based on their design and i know they will do the lamp replacement and heater "check" on their own product ( about $100 usd), you might ask to see if they will also do it for the zone vi ...

good luck!
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin