Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,606   Online: 1213

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contamination?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These are what I have, they allegedly spent the last 10 years in a storage unit in Brownwood, TX where the temperature is prone to swinging from below freezing to above 80F in a single day (and summers break 100F with ease).

Filters by Anthony J. Martinez, on Flickr

#1 and #2 are very slightly different shades of yellow. #3 is a very light grey, #4 is purple

this is #5

this is #6

#7 is dark purple.

Use them, or just buy new ones?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right. These look like they are done. I would invest in a new set or look for a color enlarger.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    WILCO. Thanks again for all the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Martinez View Post
    WILCO. Thanks again for all the advice.
    "WILCO", that's one piece of (internet) jargon I didn't know yet, but yes, do comply, as, as Ralph said, these filters are completely done.

Once you have them, start experimenting with them to get some feeling of the impact on paper contrast. You will see huge differences. Post an updated photo once you have some final result
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's really military jargon, my first name used to be Sergeant and I spent more than a little bit of time acknowledging orders over the radio. Old habits die hard I guess. Tomorrow I'll head into town and get some contrast filters and give it another go!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The scan murdered the highlights, but side by side the prints are quite different. Ended up using a 3.5 contrast filter, and it worked well. Thanks guys.

Self, Dark. Final. by Anthony J. Martinez, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    "WILCO", that's one piece of (internet) jargon I didn't know yet
    I am pretty sure it is a verbal contraction of 'will comply'.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Martinez View Post
    The scan murdered the highlights, but side by side the prints are quite different. Ended up using a 3.5 contrast filter, and it worked well. Thanks guys.
    Good to hear you finally got a result to your liking. Despite the scan not doing it justice, it still looks like an improvement.

One last tip: try to make a maximum black reference of each paper type you have by simply deliberately exposing a piece of photo paper under normal room light and putting it through the development. It can help to judge the contrast while printing, and determine if you really achieved / used the total range of contrast and maximum black in your print.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually did that by accident during one of my darkroom days. I pulled a sheet out, set it on the easel, got distracted by something. Turned on the white light. Talked on the phone for a minute, and then realized what I'd done. That box of paper is finished now, but for the last 15 sheets or so I had references for both white and black.

Thanks again for all the help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin