Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,981   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Easel

Shooter
    Multi Format

Magnetic Easel

Im looking for an easel for 20x24 enlargements and found this on bhphotovideo
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Easel.html

Are they any good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can make your own for like 10$, just get a piece of sheet metal and some magnets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But how are they to work with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never used one, but i hear good things. Its the best way to make a cheap easel.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Magnetic easel

seems like paper that large would need two sets of magnets to hold it flat. I have a big easel and need all four edges to be held down to get flat exposures

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get magnetic material in strips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Def. make your own. How well it works does depend a bunch on the paper you use, but generally they work great. To get the paper truly flat a vacuum easel is really the thing, and that is another good DIY project, but probably not really necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An A2 magnetic notice board, usually cork backed, is very good with a supportive spacer in the middle to prevent it curving downwards. They sometimes have the 6", or so, straight magnetic strips included (Rexel do them), which makes paper alignment simple as they have a slight 'T' cross section, with the heavier round magnets for the corners, if required.
    Regards, Mark Walker

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Magnetic easel

Having used the 20 x 24 magnetic easel, a couple of pointers. The turned up edges do not hold the paper well if there is any curl in the paper. I have got some super magnets from Lee Valley to use on the corners to help hold them down. Get some of the magnetic strips & use them on the turned up metal edges to help hold the paper flat. I think that the paper type may have a lot to do with the curl & ability of the easel to hold the paper flat. I am using Kodak Polymax Fine Art & it is hard to get flat. I am thinking of making a plenum under the easel, drilling a few holes & using a vacuum assist. Might work, probably won't hurt. I tried a straight vacuum easel before & did not have a great success with it. I think maybe a combination might work. I am starting a new portfolio & was thinking about this problem so I will try this out & let you know how it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Darby View Post
    I tried a straight vacuum easel before & did not have a great success with it. I think maybe a combination might work. I am starting a new portfolio & was thinking about this problem so I will try this out & let you know how it works.
    Please do, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin