Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 722

Shooter
    Multi Format

My 35mm enlarger carrier OCD and Mania

Further to a previous thread on 35mm enlarging, I believe I will soon have the world's ultimate negative carrier for 35mm. Schneider is cutting down some B+W Clear MRC filters to the rectangular size I need for a pretty reasonable price. Once I install them, this will be a low reflection, dirt and scratch resistant negative carrier of the highest optical quality (whether it matters or not, hahaha). The coatings on the glass should also further reduce the risk of newton ring interference - and if the newton rings somehow get past the MRC glass, my TXP film layer just below the top glass will take care of the rest.

Yes I'm not normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sounds like a fantastic project. Please post pictures. I'm curious, are you going to glue these in to the holes in a glassless carrier? You might want to try just the top piece only and make it bigger so it overlaps the lower glassless hole and rests on the lower frame when closed. Getting two small pieces glued in perfectly square and parallel to the frame on both the top and bottom, so they squeeze evenly once the carrier is in the enlarger, may be difficult to impossible. Are you getting an anti-Newton ring coating?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When making a 35mm glass carrier for my Minolta Mod III enlarger (6x7 enlarger) I first thought of copying the very rare Minolta glass 35mm carrier. It contained a small piece of glass only on the top. I wound up with this much better no-brainer solution. Two 4x5 pieces of enlarger glass and a tape hinge. AN on top.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This sounds like a fantastic project. Please post pictures. I'm curious, are you going to glue these in to the holes in a glassless carrier? You might want to try just the top piece only and make it bigger so it overlaps the lower glassless hole and rests on the lower frame when closed. Getting two small pieces glued in perfectly square and parallel to the frame on both the top and bottom, so they squeeze evenly once the carrier is in the enlarger, may be difficult to impossible. Are you getting an anti-Newton ring coating?
    Yeah it's a fun project, probably overkill, but I like things that way. I'm going to start with just a top glass. I'll post pictures, but what I'm doing is taking the Saunders oversize 35mm negative carriers that go in my 4550XL, and replacing the clear top glass (and anti-newton ring top glass) with the B+W filter glass. The way that carrier works is the glass is suspended in the hole in the top plate of the carrier. There is some thin foam rubber for cushioning so there is some "give", which is good since the glass can rest flat on the top of the negative without distorting anything. It is also relatively easy to adjust the vertical position of the glass with shims made of film, in cases where I might be using masks for example. I agree glueing the glass in perfectly square and parallel would be nearly impossible so I'm not going that way.

My purpose in getting these filters was to avoid anti-newton ring glass, which I never liked using (although admittedly I have not tried many types of anti-newton ring glass and I know there are some that are much better than others). There is a fair amount of evidence to suggest multicoated filter glass might at least reduce the risk of getting newton rings somewhat, so that is what I always wanted to try. As a fail-safe, I will use a clear layer of TXP below the glass, which seems to be just rough enough on the retouching side to take care of newton rings based on my tests. The other small bonus here might be easier maintenance of the glass since the MRC top coating is extremely durable, easy to clean etc. And of course, the glass is very high quality, as opposed to any of the carrier glass I've used, which always seems to show up to my door with small imperfections - not always a problem with diffusion, but lousy for condenser setups.

I'm also working on a carrier with diffusion plexi which will make it easier for me to use selective dodging and burning techniques.

Anyhow I enjoy these projects. They're good for exploring if nothing else, and it's also fun when you occasionally find out interesting things about the companies we all know. For example, after trying several avenues for getting these filters cut down, it occurred to me why not go right to the source just for the hell of it? The worst is they say no, or don't respond. It was a shot in the dark to ask Schneider if they would custom cut some of their B+W filters for me. After all this is a one-off request from a nobody, with no volume. I thought maybe they'd consider it if it was a large batch, but 2 or 3 filters? Well they got back to me very quickly and after a few emails back and forth about details, no problem! Cool stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin