Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,786   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC vs FB

Shooter
    Medium Format

RC vs FB

I've got quite a lot of fiber paper, courtesy of a fellow APUG member, but I've never used fiber paper before - only resin coated. Are there additional steps required, or do things just take a bit longer in the various trays?

(I assume this will answer itself once I finish 'The Negative' and move on to 'The Print' - but I figure I'll fish for brief answer first).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's it, the FB takes longer to develop and especially to wash. Where RC only takes a couple of minutes, the FB takes up to an hour to wash, much less if you use a washaid. Much has been written about the various merits of both, I much prefer the look and feel of FB, and always use it when doing large prints.
    Really it is no harder to ues, just takes longer is all, and if the stuff is free....well go for it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As compared to RC, FB paper requires you to be much more careful with stop baths/water rinses, fixing times and capacities, use of wash aids and washing. There are lots of threads about those subjects here on APUG, so some "wandering" through this forum and the Black and White forum is a good idea.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drying FB paper is a bit of a problem due to it curling. There are threads on the drying methods for FB and I'm sure a search will find them. In a nutshell, you can't just hang them up to dry. One solution is putting the print between sheets of blotting paper and piling books on top for weight, and another is taping the picture to glass with butcher's tape. I do the latter. More expensive solutions usually involve print dryers.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool, having a list of issues to research is definitely beneficial.

I've got more than 1000 sheets (various - some of which I lack large enough trays to use w/o cutting), so I've got plenty of room for experimentation.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You may want to try your hand at lith printing, with all that paper from various boxes, I am assuming old , newer, open or unopen.
    The lith process is perfect for paper that may be slightly fogged.
    After 1000 sheets I would say you call yourself a Lithoholic and move on to other types of silver prints.

Freestyle , B& H , sell the lith chemistry.
    Just need a strong light source enlarger , lots of patience and you will not regret starting with lith.
    Lith teaches you a lot about looking at the print in the developer, pull times, emergence times and after a year or so of lith printing I felt I became an overall better silver printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Martinez View Post
    Cool, having a list of issues to research is definitely beneficial.

I've got more than 1000 sheets (various - some of which I lack large enough trays to use w/o cutting), so I've got plenty of room for experimentation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FB paper gets really soft and floppy once saturated with chemicals. It also gets really REALLY slippery and slimy especially after the STOP tray. Unless you have a firm grip, it will slip off of your tong. When it does, it can strike at the corner or fold over and that may result in crease or bend that will not come out even after hot pressing. Poking it around in tray will cause indentations also. It takes a lot more careful handling.

When dry, surface "glosy-ness" rating will be down one. For example, glossy will be something like pearl. If you want glossy, you'll need to ferrotype it. I do not... I kind of like how glossy drys and becomes not-so-glossy.

It will also curl badly after drying. You may need to invest in Hot Dry Press to take care of that. I've tried blotting paper but it left all kinds of pressure marks and lint, it didn't work for me.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

FB query

Are you looking to part with some of your Fibre paper, or just looking for processing data?
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just processing data. I'm off to Scotland tomorrow, I intend to use up quite a bit of the paper when I return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin